Installing linux with windows???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aseem Nasnodkar

In the zone
I have win xp.
I wanna install Fedora core 2.
But the prob is that i have to format my whole hdd acc to the installation setup. As all other options in installation give an error.
But formatting the hdd or in other words removing all other partitions made by windows will cause loss of all imp data.
Is there ne way by which i can install fedora? I have lot af free space 10 GB. Still it gives errors.

Please help!

krish

Journeyman
Please post the error which it gives during installation. And also post the method u are doing for the installation.

tuxfan

Technomancer
Aseem Nasnodkar said:
I have win xp.
But the prob is that i have to format my whole hdd acc to the installation setup. As all other options in installation give an error.
But formatting the hdd or in other words removing all other partitions made by windows will cause loss of all imp data.
Is there ne way by which i can install fedora? I have lot af free space 10 GB. Still it gives errors.

Please help!

Fedora Core 2 and XP together have a problem. Please don't install FC2. Go or FC3 or still better Debian.

Secondly, do you have partitioned free space of 10GB or unpartitioned? If it is unpartitioned, chose the option of using free space in you HD in FC installation (anaconda). If it is partitioned, post your HD partition details here.

You may be able to use FIPS to resize the partitions to create free space. You may not need to format the entire HD.

theKonqueror

CCIE# 20863
Installing linux with windows!!!

Aseem Nasnodkar said:
I have win xp.

Please help!

Make sure u have near abt 4 GB free on your last partition, i.e. if u have C:, D:, E:, F:, u must hv 4 gb free on F:. Use partition magic and resize last partition, shrink it so the free space remains on hard disk unpartitioned.

Start Fedora setup, Select 'Manual Partition with Disk Druid'
Then It will show u ur partitions and unpartitioned free space.
In free space, create following partitions:

1. /boot size: 100 MB, type: ext3
2. / size: depends on u, but preferrabely 2.5 GB. type: ext3
3. N.A. type: SWAP size: twice of ur RAM. e.g. if u have 256mb ram, make this partition 512 MB.

Click next. Ignore the message that says this scheme does not meet boot constrains.
After selection of packages, when it asks for a boot loader, select 'Install GRUB as boot loader'
After completion of setup, u cn dual boot into XP as well as tuxy. :wink:

tuxfan

Technomancer
theKonqueror said:
Start Fedora setup, Select 'Manual Partition with Disk Druid'
I would suggest go for automatic partition if you are not experienced or too confident. Since you will only have about 4GB free space, you can select the option which says (or means) use up entire free space (in automatic partitioning). That will save you from the trouble of specifying each partition separately.

Secondly, in my opinion, 4GB may not be enough, keep 5 GB. Then keep at least 1024 MB (1GB) as SWAP partition. SWAP usually is double the RAM. So I assume you have 256 RAM. But you can't resize swap later once you upgrade RAM in the future. :)

theKonqeror said:
Click next. Ignore the message that says this scheme does not meet boot constrains. After selection of packages, when it asks for a boot loader, select 'Install GRUB as boot loader' After completion of setup, u cn dual boot into XP as well as tuxy.
I agree. Just ignore the warning. I have so far ignored it at least 6-7 times and nothing has ever gone wrong in any of the machines ;)

But FC2 and XP had some problems in dual booting. I don't know what because I neither used FC2 not XP. Google it out to see what it is. Safer to go for FC3. It is now availalble already :)

theKonqueror

CCIE# 20863
tuxfan said:
... But FC2 and XP had some problems in dual booting. I don't know what because I neither used FC2 not XP. ...

I once installed Win 98 , Win 2k pro, win2k server, win XP and Fedora 2 on same HDD with NTLDR as boot loader. (Hey, I m not a microsoft fan, I jus wanted to show ma frends, it is possible ... :wink: ) Nothing went wrong, and all OSs were running fine. Currently I only have Red Hat Enterprise Linux ES, win 98 and Winxp pro, with NTLDR as boot loader.

tuxfan said:
I would suggest go for automatic partition if you are not experienced or too confident.

Be careful while using auto partition, bkz it has an option, erase entire disk, which is I think, default. U have 2 change that option first, or u will loose all ur data.

tuxfan

Technomancer
Have a look at some of the following links. These were on the first page of google search. So there may be more info in this when you dig deeper. There surely is some problem with FC2 and XP dual booting. Of course, the solution must also be there. But why bother yourself with that? Just install FC3 or Debian instead of FC2 ;)

Beware Fedora Core 2 Linux if you dual boot Windows XP
*www.oreillynet.com/pub/wlg/4896

Solution Title: Fedora Core 2 and XP problems
*www.experts-exchange.com/Operating_Systems/Linux/Linux_Setup/Q_21021552.html

Fedora Core 2 and Windows XP dual boot...caution!
*www.linuxcompatible.org/thread27395-1.html

H

h4ck3r

just go there ....

just goto www.linuxsolved.com or pm ricky here...yo problem will defniitely be solved.. sorry ricky for disclosing some info abt you :cry:
gr8 job becoz you posted the thread at qna instead of open source
(yos is a question so it should be here)

tuxfan

Technomancer
Aseem Nasnodkar said:
well though i have 10GB of space on my C:
The installation in manual partitioning shows only 4MB
Thats y linux dsn't install

You can't install Linux in the same partition as windows!! You need to have a separate partition (or partitions like /, boot, swap, etc.) These partitions can be created only in the free and unpartitioned space on your hard disk.

This is the setup that I had on my hard disks.
- A primary partition i.e. C: where you can install Windows
- An extended partition for the rest of the drive
- 1 or more Logical partitions in the extended partition + some unpartitioned space
- Let Linux (anaconda in Fedora) take up this unpartitioned space and automatically partition it as required.

This setup can give you a warning that this setup does not meet the boot constraints. Just ignore the warning. Things work just fine. GRUB gets loaded in Master Boot Record in primary partition.

OP
A

Aseem Nasnodkar

In the zone
My HDD Struct is this way

2 partitions:

C: having WinXP and nothing much important. 12GB free space there. [total 20GB]
D: having no OS and hardly any space left. Lots of imp stuff there in.[total 20GB].

The unpartitioned space shows 4MB that is free space. Now I want to convert the free space from C: to unpartitioned space. How Do I do tht? I tried Partition Magic 7.0 but it gives errors.

Wat 2 do???

tuxfan

Technomancer
Empty D partition i.e. shift files to C, take back up of the rest. Then defrag the drive and use FIPS to resize the partition. Create at least 5-6 GB space for Linux and then install it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom