Installiing i386 packages on AMD64 Binary

Status
Not open for further replies.

dabster

In the zone
I recently installed Ubuntu Hoary 5.04 AMD 64 edition on my comp...
But this distribution is short of Applications So I tried some packages from Debian DVD but Using Dpkg results in error that package is not of AMD64 Architecture so can't continue,
Recently I read somewhere tht debian has introduced dpkg-subarchitecture Shell utility for installing i386 pakages has anybody heard of it,

Or is there any other way to install i386 packages on AMD64 version...

--
Reply fast... :?
I am thinking to port back to 32 bit version of linux...

mediator

Technomancer
The following I had copied from some site long ago, may help ya!

i386
Suitable for any current Intel-compatible computer
noarch
Compatible with all computer architectures
ppc
Suitable for PowerPC systems, such as Apple Power Macintosh
x86_64
Suitable for 64-bit Intel-compatible processors, such as Opterons
Computers with an Intel Pentium Pro and above, or a current model of AMD chip, may use i686 packages.

ujjwal

Padawan
Although I am not sure, I think the AMD64 release of Ubuntu is a pure 64 bit distribution, and does not have the 32 bit libraries required to run i386 packages natively. You may be able to find a package containing 32 bit libraries for your system, just search the package repositories.

Check this guide - *alioth.debian.org/docman/view.php/30192/21/debian-amd64-howto.html

The part which you are interested in is "Using an IA32 chroot to run 32bit applications".

OP
D

dabster

In the zone
Yeah, i have heard of fc4's 64 bit release, Since i don't have reach to it...And I wanted a pure AMD 64 linux I tried Ubuntu, I think I will have to change it....As the Packages included with the Ubuntu are very less, And It is not possible for me to use apt-get all the time....

Anyways Thanks for help !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom