Installed openSUSE 11.... need some guidance..!

Status
Not open for further replies.

prasad_den

Padawan
Hi all,
After a very long time, I finally said bye-bye to my windows XP Pro SP3, and instead have installed openSUSE 11 in its place, along with Vista in a dual boot config..
Installation was a breeze.. it did get a little tricky at the partitioner level though. After some trial and error, I managed to set up my network correctly and have added an additional repository (Packman) also. I also managed to get my NVidia drivers installed properly, even though the one-click installation in the nvidia.opensuse.org site did not work out for me.. Now I think I have a good working linux system.. :D
Now, I need some suggestions, guidance and advice from the expertise here, regarding some small problems and other sundry things..

1. Mine is a HP laptop with 160GB HDD and 2GB RAM. I have partitioned in such a way that the root is 10GB, swap is 1 GB and home is 4GB. Is there any problems in this setup..?

2. My windows NTFS drives are mounted and readable, but I need write access too. Please let me know how to assign permissions for the same. I'm the only user of my system.. no other user ids exist..!

3. Video files do not play... says something like invalid argument - could not be streamed.

Will post more queries here, as and when I get stuck somewhere.. Currently, I'm very much impressed with the simplicity that yast provides and so far I haven't used the CLI even once.. Hope that my date with Linux continues for a longer period and turns into love this time over.. :D

P.S.1: Sorry for the long post..
P.S.2: Thanks in advance...
P.S.3: I would definitely recommend openSUSE 11 to a noobie...! Its really good.

NucleusKore

TheSaint
Hi all,
After a very long time, I finally said bye-bye to my windows XP Pro SP3, and instead have installed openSUSE 11 in its place, .........

Welcome to the FUTURE

1. Mine is a HP laptop with 160GB HDD and 2GB RAM. I have partitioned in such a way that the root is 10GB, swap is 1 GB and home is 4GB. Is there any problems in this setup..?

No, but /home the equivalent of Document and Settings folder in Windows. So you will have only 4 GB space to store your data. This can be alleviated by writing to existing ntfs partitions.

2. My windows NTFS drives are mounted and readable, but I need write access too. Please let me know how to assign permissions for the same. I'm the only user of my system.. no other user ids exist..!

You have to install ntfs-config from the OSS repository and run it. It is very simple.

3. Video files do not play... says something like invalid argument - could not be streamed.
You will have to install Mplayer and w32 codecs from the Packman repository.

See this
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=97803
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?p=947880#6
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=91680

OP
prasad_den

prasad_den

Padawan
Thanks for the prompt reply...!! Installed ntfs-config and now everything is fine with regard to writing in NTFS partitions.. And I had just installed mplayer.. No problems in media player also now..
Had gone through the FAQs earlier, but the other two links were useful.. especially your tutorials.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom