installation problems in mandrake linux 8.2

Status
Not open for further replies.

GNUrag

FooBar Guy
Satissh S said:
@gnurag: Is there any special cases where we need to use reiserfs? What's the prob wid powercuts? Checking and re-playing the journal takes a lot of time? :roll:
1) ReiserFS is recommended where there are several small files in the filesystem, in which a single file takes up at most few clusters only. Like say in case of Squid's cache directory, and other small files which reside in spool. For all other applications, prefer a mature filesystem like SGI's XFS of linux's own ext3.

2) There is no way to defragment ReiserFS filesystem

3) When you boot in rescue mode due to any reason, using a boot CD or a mini boot floppy, its possible that the kernel in that rescue disk is not compiled with reiserfs module. It has happened with me once the hard way.

praka123

left this forum longback
I think ext3 is the stablest fs as of now.i don no whether any ext4 came or coming..and nobody mentioned about reiser4...
ext3 can be defragmented,though through a buggy beta propreitory s/w.
*www.oo-software.com/en/products/oodlinux/
:(

eddie

El mooooo
GNUrag said:
For all other applications, prefer a mature filesystem like SGI's XFS of linux's own ext3.
I agree about XFS but ReiserFS is as mature as ext3.

2) There is no way to defragment ReiserFS filesystem
So is the case for ext3. XFS does have xfs_fsr but then the question is, do we really need a defragger? Only a few people have reported fragmentation on ReiserFS but I don't think it will ever effect performance on desktop PCs.

3) When you boot in rescue mode due to any reason, using a boot CD or a mini boot floppy, its possible that the kernel in that rescue disk is not compiled with reiserfs module. It has happened with me once the hard way.
Time to use some newer rescue CDs? :)
BTW are you telling us that we are more likely to find XFS support on a rescue CD then ReiserFS?

I live in Delhi and we all know how notorious Delhi is, for power failures. I have even had various shutdowns where PC just went down during brown outs and UPS couldn't manage to keep up, but I still trust reiserfs. Also, here are a few benchmarks for you.
*linuxgazette.net/102/piszcz.html
*navindra.blogspot.com/2004/10/kde-dot-news-ext3s-miserable-failure.html

GNUrag

FooBar Guy
eddie said:
I agree about XFS but ReiserFS is as mature as ext3.
I'd prefer XFS any day, till recently ext3fs didnt have large files support.

eddie said:
BTW are you telling us that we are more likely to find XFS support on a rescue CD then ReiserFS?
I didnt mention any particular filesystem here ;-)

eddie said:
Also, here are a few benchmarks for you.
no thanks.

drsethi

Journeyman
no sound

I have installed mandrakelinux 10. no sound . please help. motherboard is original intel 915 gav

drsethi

Journeyman
no sound

I have installed mandrakelinux 10. no sound . please help. motherboard is original intel 915 gav

praka123

left this forum longback
which kernel are U using? try "uname -r".get alsa >=1.0.8 installed.if possible kernel >=2.6.12.try "alsaconf" to configure in a terminal.

JGuru

Wise Old Owl
First of all, you need to assign partitions to the root (/)
and partition for swap. Choose your filesystem as Ext3
and assign atleast 8 GB for the root (/) and 500 MB atleast
for the swap. You must have chosen 'Custom
partitioning' when the partition screen comes up.

If you had installed Windows on the same harddisk,
Mandrake Linux would show C drive as 'win_c', D driveas 'win_d'
and so on. And don't delete them!! Always create a new partition
from the freespace available.

The following link shows the procedure in a detailed
manner. Even though it's for Mandriva Linux 10.1,
some tasks are common for all versions.

*doc.mandrivalinux.com/MandrakeLinux/101/en/Starter.html

I hope that you find the above link useful.

Goodluck
:D :D :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom