INSTALLATION PROBLEM WITH WINDOWS XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr.Mubarak

Right off the assembly line
DEAR FRINDS,

I HAD A NON BOOTABLE WINDOWS XP CD. I HAVE TO INSTALL WINDOWS 98 FIRST TO INSTALL WINDOWS XP. IS THERE ANY METHOD TO INSTALL WINDOWS XP WITHOUT INSTALLING WINDOWS 98. PLEASE HELP

Kl@w-24

Slideshow Bob
How come ur CD is not bootable? Every OS's installation disk has to be bootable so that it can be installed on brand new machines w/o an OS, by directly booting from the CD.

rajesh

Journeyman
It seems u r using a pirated version of Windows XP. Thats why it is not bootable CD. :twisted:
Anyway goto I386 folder and run setup from there.

Kl@w-24

Slideshow Bob
Dude, he does not have an OS! He installed Win 98 first 'coz it was a bootabl CD! How do u expect him to 'go to the i386 folder' ?

rajesh

Journeyman
Create a startup floppy through win 98.

Boot using it and select with cd rom support.

Then go the cd drive and folder and install it

I told him him to go that folder cos thats a way to install winxp in dos.

sreevirus

Certified Nutz
most probably, the win xp setup files must be in a folder on the cd....
suppose if the files r in a folder named WINXP
if u have a cd-writer, u can create a bootable disc.
if u can, burn ONLY THE FILES contained in the folder WINXP to another cd (do not burn the folder itself) so that the files will be directly available from the cd.

no rajesh, u cant run the winxp installer in DOS mode....either in windows or thru direct boot.

aadipa

Padawan
hmmm..........

u CAN install Windows XP from DOS mode

1. boot with DOS (98 bootable)
2. load smart drive (smartdrv.exe) copy that file on ur bootable floppy if u don't wanna spend lot of time copying files from installation media to temp folders, it comes with windows 98, search for it.
3. now locate i386 directory for ur WinXP setup and run winnt.exe from it.

this will allow u to install WinXP from DOS mode.

aadipa

Padawan
other way is to create bootable floppies for Windows XP installation, it needs SIX floppies to boot to winxp setup.

revolver

Right off the assembly line
here's what 2 do..

1.change the boot priority option in your bios to cd-rom..
it should solve the problem

2.get a startup disk made 4 windows xp..u should b able to boot into dos..copy the win xp cd 2 ur hard-disk and carry out the installation from there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom