machine 1
windows xp
lan card
usb drive
no cd/dvd drive

machine 2
lan card
no usb or cd/dvd drive

on my second machine i had linux n windows dual booted. i deleted the linux partition and grub accidentally from windows disk manager and now needless to say windows does not boot.
i need to repair the windows installation for which i need a CD drive which has blown out.
all i have is this machine connect to the other box with a LAN cable.

is there any way i can re-install winxp thru LAN without a CD/DVD/USB drive on the second machine? i dont have server 2000 or 2003 so cannot use RIS also.

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
I won't say impossible...its possible.
In our college we used to install XP in LAN, but that was a CD which was placed in a shared PC in network. In every MOBO there is an option called "Network Boot" or something like that. We used that facility.

But in ur case, no CD/DVD present, u do have USB and u can make XP boota from USB but, if u can't access any CD how would u make a bootable USB drive? (b/w d/l XP frm net may do it, i don't know, u can try)

OP
iinfi

iinfi

mekalodu
i selected LAN as first boot device but whn i start the PC nothing happens.

added:
this machine has USB but the old machine doesn't.
i use the old machine to practice little networking and some oracle dba stuff.

esumitkumar

Call me Sumit
wow USB is there ..kool..make a USB boot disk (google for that) or the easiest way : attach a USB external CD drive and njoy :)

OP
iinfi

iinfi

mekalodu
i v usb on this machine not the machine on which i need to install XP.
i dont v external cd drive either!!

added
i think this link mite help me ... bit busy now .... i will try it over the next few days n let you knw
*oss.netfarm.it/guides/ris-linux.pdf

Last edited:
OP
iinfi

iinfi

mekalodu
^^ i need to repair the already existing installation on the second PC not a clean install.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom