Install Windows in GPT

I don't know if this should go in hardware or software, but as it's mostly firmware/bios relates (i think), I opted to post it here.

I have a server HP ProLiant DL120 Generation 7 LFF server at hand. It is configured with 4 3TB SATA HDD in RAID 10. I had it working fine with CentOS. But I decided to install Windows Server 2008 (64) in it and am having a hard time. As the HDD is in GPT, windows fail to install, giving out an error that it can't install itself in GPT. Upon conversion to MBR, it can install, but HDD is limited to 2TB. That is I lose almost 3 TB of space due to MBR restriction.

I have been trying to figure out if the HP mobo has UEFI , but can't find it. As linux detects and work with the full GPT mode, I am assuming there is UEFI support. But windows doesn't even want to install itself! Note that I am using the 64bit version, which claims to work with GPT.

Any help will be very much appreciated.... and is a bit urgent

Tech&ME

Banned
I don't know if this should go in hardware or software, but as it's mostly firmware/bios relates (i think), I opted to post it here.

I have a server HP ProLiant DL120 Generation 7 LFF server at hand. It is configured with 4 3TB SATA HDD in RAID 10. I had it working fine with CentOS. But I decided to install Windows Server 2008 (64) in it and am having a hard time. As the HDD is in GPT, windows fail to install, giving out an error that it can't install itself in GPT. Upon conversion to MBR, it can install, but HDD is limited to 2TB. That is I lose almost 3 TB of space due to MBR restriction.

I have been trying to figure out if the HP mobo has UEFI , but can't find it. As linux detects and work with the full GPT mode, I am assuming there is UEFI support. But windows doesn't even want to install itself! Note that I am using the 64bit version, which claims to work with GPT.

Any help will be very much appreciated.... and is a bit urgent

OK, you need to understand that GPT mode will only work with UEFI support.

1. Can you give your system motherboard details ?

2. Yes, Windows Server 2008 x64 fully supports GPT mode and you can boot this OS if your motherboard has UEFI built on to the BIOS structure. Some extra code is written on top of the BIOS.

3. UEFI does not perform the POST functions during system startup. The primary function is to detect the Partition Table and facilitate installation and booting of supported Operating System.

4. In your case either the UEFI is missing or there seems to be some detection issues with the UEFI. [ i.e., Win Server 2008 x64 is unable to detect it ]

5. You can try any Windows 7, Windows XP Pro x64 or even Windows Server 2003 to see if it works.

6. The most easiest way to determine if your Motherboard has UEFI is, if you can use your MOUSE in the BIOS screen, you most probably have UEFI.

Last edited:

Liverpool_fan

Sami Hyypiä, LFC legend
As linux detects and work with the full GPT mode, I am assuming there is UEFI support.
Linux boots and works well with GPT disks in BIOS hardware. You only need to use GPT compatible bootloader and a BIOS boot partition (of few megs). CentOS probably installs and configures it all for you.

Boot into CentOS, and copy paste the output of su -c 'parted -l'. The partition layout will give a better idea on what is happening.

I personally use GPT on my SSD with BIOS hardware, the output is like this:

Code:
[amd@amita-pc ~]$ sudo parted -l
Password: 
Model: ATA OCZ-VERTEX2 (scsi)
Disk /dev/sda: 60.0GB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
Partition Table: gpt
Disk Flags: 

Number  Start   End     Size    File system     Name                 Flags
 1      1049kB  68.2MB  67.1MB                  BIOS boot partition  bios_grub
 2      68.2MB  2270MB  2202MB  linux-swap(v1)  Linux swap
 3      2270MB  36.9GB  34.6GB  ext4            Linux filesystem

It's a limitation of Windows OS than anything to be not be bootable with GPT on BIOS hardware. Linux (and pretty sure FreeBSD as well) work fine.

There is one thing you can do if your system is BIOS (more likely), use a smaller hard disk for Windows C: as MBR and the RAID setup for the data using GPT. That will work, since the limitation for Windows is ONLY for booting with GPT disks on BIOS systems rather but they should be able to access them fine. Or simply use a superior operating system...

kisame

King of Heroes
6. The most easiest way to determine if your Motherboard has UEFI is, if you can use your MOUSE in the BIOS screen, you most probably have UEFI.

Some bioses(like my k53sv) just have an option to enable UEFI on hard drives.No fancy graphical bios with mouse.
However you are correct that if bios supports mouse,then it definitely has UEFI.

OT:Cant say much unless it is confirmed that said motherboard does(not) have UEFI support.

Top Bottom