Hello, I want to keep 100gb for linux

and the rest for windows with drives c,d ,e

how can i do that ?
please reply in detail as i m new to linux

Last edited:

krishnandu.sarkar

Simply a DIGITian
Staff member
As he already said. Install Windows in C, and create D and E drive and create Logical Drive / Extended Partition on the remaining space. Now they would be recognized as free space (marked green).

Now boot into Ubuntu, and it'll automatically detect that free space and then select "Install Alongside Windows".

Though I messed you up badly, wait for him to confirm.

Neuron

Electronic.
As he already said. Install Windows in C, and create D and E drive and create Logical Drive / Extended Partition on the remaining space. Now they would be recognized as free space (marked green).

Now boot into Ubuntu, and it'll automatically detect that free space and then select "Install Alongside Windows".

Though I messed you up badly, wait for him to confirm.

Mate,i think he already deleted sda3.If that's the case then OP should first install windows 7 in his formatted d: drive.

@ico
Hello, I want to keep 100gb for linux
and the rest for windows with drives c,d ,e
how can i do that ?
please reply in detail as i m new to linux

Install windows 7 first if you deleted it on the unpartitioned space (d: earlier).
Now after windows is installed boot into your linux.Delete the partition sda3.Confirm your action.Go back to the method selection screen then select the option to install Ubuntu in the unpartitioned space.Ubuntu will handle the rest.

OP
P

psaikia

Broken In
I have fomatted my total hard disk and quite surely lost some data.

now through windows boot dvd up I cannot find any drives.
I have to format it with gparted live.

Neuron

Electronic.
You can also install Ubuntu first and windows later.Ubuntu's boot entry can be added with the help of EasyBCD.

Last edited:

Neuron

Electronic.
now through windows boot dvd up I cannot find any drives..

That can't be true.If you formatted the entire drive then you should see a huge unpartitioned space.Just to be safe install ubuntu first.Create a 96GB ext4 partition and label it root (/) and create a 4GB swap partition.

Then install windows 7 on the rest of the free space.Create a 200GB partition to install windows.Split the rest of the free space into partitions of 100GB each.Install EasyBCD.Go to 'add new entry'.Select 'linux/BSD' tab.Select 'grub 2' as the type.Click 'add entry'.Now you will have a boot entry named 'Neosmart Linux' along with windows 7.