Instaliing Ubuntu inside windows 7 in drive D error

psaikia

Broken In
I tried to install ubuntu 11.10 in drive D by wubi (install inside windows). I have win7 in drive C.

Ubuntu easily installs in drive c , when in drive D , it reports error --- file not found .

Please help

krishnandu.sarkar

Simply a DIGITian
Staff member
I'd suggest you to go with boot from CD way instead of Wubi.

Actually Wubi is not the right way to install, and it may break thinks later. And if you plan to use Ubuntu for long time and try it out really, avoid Wubi.

Neuron

Electronic.
I tried to install ubuntu 11.10 in drive D by wubi (install inside windows). I have win7 in drive C.

Ubuntu easily installs in drive c , when in drive D , it reports error --- file not found .

Please help

If you just want to try it you can install ubuntu within a virtual environment such as Oracle's virtual box and run it while windows is running.

OP
P

psaikia

Broken In
I'd suggest you to go with boot from CD way instead of Wubi.

Actually Wubi is not the right way to install, and it may break thinks later. And if you plan to use Ubuntu for long time and try it out really, avoid Wubi.

I tried to install directly , but the drives made by windows is not recognized by ubuntu and i dont want to format my win 7.

Is there any so that linux recognises the win 7 drives . Coz m planning only install in drive d

krishnandu.sarkar

Simply a DIGITian
Staff member
You can't install Linux in NTFS, that's the reason Linux doesn't detects them. But it very well detects all your partitions.

Anyway why don't you shrink your D drive and make out some space (Say around 10GB) for Linux.

OP
P

psaikia

Broken In
You can't install Linux in NTFS, that's the reason Linux doesn't detects them. But it very well detects all your partitions.

Anyway why don't you shrink your D drive and make out some space (Say around 10GB) for Linux.

If I format drive d in fat32 format . will it be detected by ubuntu

krishnandu.sarkar

Simply a DIGITian
Staff member
Yes, it'll detect(as a windows partition) but won't allow you to install.

The thing you can do is, shrink your D drive and make out some free space. And keep it as free space. And then boot Ubuntu from CD and select Install Beside Windows (On Free Space), and lastly verify that it selected and created partitions under free space before applying.

OP
P

psaikia

Broken In
Yes, it'll detect(as a windows partition) but won't allow you to install.

The thing you can do is, shrink your D drive and make out some free space. And keep it as free space. And then boot Ubuntu from CD and select Install Beside Windows (On Free Space), and lastly verify that it selected and created partitions under free space before applying.

i have four drives c,d,e,f .
In c win7 is installed , d is completely free . e and f are not free.

I want to keep d completely for ubuntu. and is of 97gb.

so, what i have to do. is there any way without shrinking d.

krishnandu.sarkar

Simply a DIGITian
Staff member
Sure, if you want your whole D drive to dedicate for Ubuntu, then simply delete that partition and it'll become a free partition. Then go ahed and boot from Ubuntu CD.

OP
P

psaikia

Broken In
Sure, if you want your whole D drive to dedicate for Ubuntu, then simply delete that partition and it'll become a free partition. Then go ahed and boot from Ubuntu CD.

i deleted the d partition , but , its not showing any free space.

the screenshot is this

*i.imgur.com/AXLHq.jpg

krishnandu.sarkar

Simply a DIGITian
Staff member
So is it now black or green??

I guess it's black now which means Unpartitioned. I've seen ubuntu doesn't detects Unpartitioned Space. Now create a partition there as free partitions (means green)

Otherwise do one thing, that would be much easy I guess, create a partition there and keep it as D.

Now boot into Ubuntu and select that D Parition and select tick that Format option, that'll do the thing.

OP
P

psaikia

Broken In
So is it now black or green??

I guess it's black now which means Unpartitioned. I've seen ubuntu doesn't detects Unpartitioned Space. Now create a partition there as free partitions (means green)

Otherwise do one thing, that would be much easy I guess, create a partition there and keep it as D.

Now boot into Ubuntu and select that D Parition and select tick that Format option, that'll do the thing.

how will i know , in ubuntu which partition is d

I made the d partition and didnt format it.

*i.imgur.com/Wzx3e.png

krishnandu.sarkar

Simply a DIGITian
Staff member
See sda is the first drive of your drive bay. (i.e. first sata drive) I guess you only have one HDD.

So, sda1 = 1st partition, sda2 = 2nd partition.

See sda2 = 104 MB I guess that's Windows 7 Parition that the OS itself created (Am I right?)
sda3 = C drive
sda4 = D Drive (In this case it's E, as you deleted D)

Now to verify, the Size and Used will be same, as it's a blank partition with no data..!! :p

Another way is the size, I mean your C drive is around 10GB right?? So that's another parameter to verify, verify the partition size of D.

And see the Graphical Table above, it shows partition exactly as you have created in Windows.

Like C is the first partition, D is the second and so on.

BTW which version of Ubuntu are you using?? Because as far as I know, the latest versions detect Unpartitioned Space (not sure)

Or as you said above, make it fat32 and under ubuntu you can verify it by Type.

OP
P

psaikia

Broken In
I cannot format in fat32 as win7 only formats in ntfs.
i am using 11.10 (64 bit).

I ll format in exfat n then see

This is my windows screenshot
*i.imgur.com/aVtex.png

and this my linux screenshot
*i.imgur.com/AYScN.jpg

Now please tell me which is my drive d

Neuron

Electronic.
You can format the d: drive in fat32 fromat from win7.Click on start menu.Type cmd in the search box,press ctrl+shift+enter.Say yes to the prompt.
Now type format d: /fs:fat32 /q.Press enter
That should format the d drive in fat32.

OP
P

psaikia

Broken In
You can format the d: drive in fat32 fromat from win7.Click on start menu.Type cmd in the search box,press ctrl+shift+enter.Say yes to the prompt.
Now type format d: /fs:fat32 /q.Press enter
That should format the d drive in fat32.

I have around 97gb.
it says Volume is too big to format in fat32

Neuron

Electronic.
I have around 97gb.
it says Volume is too big to format in fat32

Well,i should have posted this instead of the earlier one.Don't format d: drive.Go to disk management and delete the partition d:.You will get about 97GB of unpartitioned space which will be detected in ubuntu's partition manager.

OP
P

psaikia

Broken In
Well,i should have posted this instead of the earlier one.Don't format d: drive.Go to disk management and delete the partition d:.You will get about 97GB of unpartitioned space which will be detected in ubuntu's partition manager.

Sorry mate , it doesnt detect .

I have given a screenshot above some post.

i deleted the d partition , but , its not showing any free space.

the screenshot is this

*i.imgur.com/AXLHq.jpg

this is the screenshot

Neuron

Electronic.
That is wierd.Seems like a bug in gparted.For now you can try installing ubuntu inside windows through virtualbox and you might be able to then copy these files into an ext4 partion through windows and then boot ubuntu separately.I'm experimenting on it.

OP
P

psaikia

Broken In
I dont know, what is happening.
now when I am trying to install it shows this error.
its taking hell out of me.
ubuntu is testing my patience

now this error

*i.imgur.com/Bfeg3.jpg

Top Bottom