Indian president worried about Google Earth

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tech&ME

Banned
Hyderabad, India — Indian President A.P.J. Abdul Kalam expressed concern Saturday about a free mapping program from Google Inc., warning it could help terrorists by providing satellite photos of potential targets.

Google Earth, an Internet site launched in June this year, allows users to access overlapping satellite photos. Although not all areas are highly detailed, some images are very high resolution, and some show sensitive locations in various countries.

At a meeting of top police officials in the southern Indian city of Hyderabad, Mr. Kalam said he worried that "developing countries, which are already in danger of terrorist attacks, have been singularly chosen" for providing high resolution images of their sites.

The governments of South Korea and Thailand and lawmakers in the Netherlands have expressed similar concerns.

South Korean newspapers said Google Earth provides images of the presidential Blue House and military bases in the country, which remains technically at war with communist North Korea. The North's main nuclear facility at Yongbyon is among sites in that country displayed on the service.

The Google site contains clear aerial photos of India's parliament building, the president's house and surrounding government offices in New Delhi. There are also some clear shots of Indian defence establishments.

Officials at Mountain View, Calif.-based Google did not immediately return a phone call and e-mail seeking comment.

Responding in August to the concerns of two Dutch lawmakers, Google spokeswoman Catherine Betts noted the software uses information already available from public sources and said its benefits "far outweigh any negatives from potential abuse."

Mr. Kalam, a scientist who guided India's missile program before becoming president, called for new laws to restrain dissemination of such material. He said existing laws in some countries regarding spatial observations of their territory and the United Nations' recommendations on the practice are inadequate.

source

iinfi

mekalodu
i dont understand why people are raising their eyebrows now!! I think Google Earth has been around for quite some time now and the the people who needed the maps wud have already got what they wanted. Govt.s of all countries sud have stopped google when they had jus started the project.
damage has been done. there is no use crying over spilt milk.

tuXian

In the zone
btw commercial mapping services existed via subscription from a long time. Its just now that a common man has got it.

Its not the common man who will be danger to the country.

Those ppl who are wrong doers will get the maps paying the big mapping cos via subscription.

But we should appreciate the concern of our beloved president. The govt should ask Google to remove the maps of the areas which shouldnt have been if they think the matter is so grave.

ferrarif50

Journeyman
Why all this late buzz? Google Earth was earlier known as Keyhole. ( Google bought Keyhole ) I had tried this software many months back. There were high res images even then. Its a buzz now just because its owned now by Google and thus quite popular.

Also, there is similar software from NASA called NASA Worldwind.

Anyways..the US Military has been mapping down the entire globe from way long back. I guess, the government is worried now, coz even the public ( that includes the terrorists ), can get their hands on this.

sujithtom

Ambassador of Buzz
He must worry b'coz places of strategical impotance till now was very very well hidden but now its is openly exposed.

tuXian

In the zone
Aerial photographs of the White House and the US Capitol have been blocked out for security reasons, says an email newsletter which I got from webpronews.

Its also speaks about our presidents concern.

Now we too can ask them to block what the Indian Gov thinks unsuitable.

|v|averick

Right off the assembly line
yeah google earth exposed our "topsecret" information on building an Aircraft carrier.(well,thats what the newspaper says)

cheetah

In the zone
US has alread urged satellite mapping services to blur out important places like pentagon, whitehouse, etc.

digitizen

Journeyman
No fear

i dont think there is anything to be afraid of. big terrorist organiations and rival countries are not going to open google earth and look into other countries defence secrets . this is too stupid for them to rely on this. anyhow theyll be having there own ways of getting all the informations they need .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom