India to have missile defence shield in 3 yrs!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

iNFiNiTE

The cake is a lie!!!
Read the article today in newspaper. Three cheers for the Indian scientists.:p :cool:
The Missile system is named PRADHYUMN.

Source
India will have its own missile defence shield ready in three years, a development that will mark a big leap in securing the country's high value assets and major cities like Delhi and Mumbai.

The two-layered Ballistic Missile Defence (BMD) system to cope with both threats from ballistic missiles as well as terrain-hugging cruise missile could be ready by 2010.

This assurance came from the country's top missile scientist V K Saraswat in the backdrop of Pakistan building up an arsenal of missiles, which would give India hardly a 3-4 minute reaction time.

''An integrated test trial of the interceptor missile and its sub-systems would be conducted in June next year,'' Saraswat told newspersons on the recent successful test trials of the Advanced Air Defence (AAD) missiles in endo-atmospheric mode.

He said three to four more flight trials of the AAD and another four trials of exo-atmospheric missiles were required before declaring the system as ''operational''.

The missile scientist said the AAD system could also be configured to take care of threats from terrain-hugging cruise missiles.

Asked when BMD could be mass-produced to cover the whole nation, Saraswat said that within weeks of the system being validated the production lines would be ready to roll out the system in bulk.

He said there was a ''substantial'' private sector participation in the BMD development programme.

More Info

This new interceptor missile, an "endo-atmospheric" one, will take on the "enemy" missile at an altitude of 15-20 km above the earth, on the lines of the American Patriot Advanced Capability-3 (PAC-3) system.

A year ago, on November 27, India had tested an "exo-atmospheric" hypersonic interceptor missile to successfully destroy an incoming Prithvi missile at an altitude of around 50 km, demonstrating a capability akin to the Israeli Arrow-2 BMD system.

In effect, the two tests taken together will constitute the first phase in India’s quest to develop a "unique" two-tier BMD system, capable of tracking and destroying hostile missiles both inside (endo) and outside (exo) the earth’s atmosphere.

"With a two-layered system, analogous to both PAC-3 and Arrow-2, the aim is to first engage in exo and then intercept the leakers in endo to ensure a kill probability of 99.8%," DRDO’s chief controller for missiles, V K Saraswat, told TOI.
Source

gagan007

Uhu, Not Gonna Happen!
wow that's some good news...we shud alwez be prepared to counter the attack from the neighbours...well the reality is they never attack from the front!

fun2sh

Pawned!... Beyond GODLIKE
go india go!!! USA hum teri kuch salon me waaaaaat lagane wale hain!!

we r goin to emerge as the largest economy of the world. we r already givin tough time to china in GDP ratio. now come the defense part too. soon india will be the major power oN the earth.

n yeah i remember from CAPTAIN VYOM sci-fi Series also that India there makes a G-Gun to protect the whole world againts the Aleins n there after DELHI Becomes the capital of the WORLD*gigasmilies.googlepages.com/4.gif*gigasmilies.googlepages.com/4.gif.

BUT ONE BIG QUESTION WILL WE BE ABLE TO CROSS THIS 2012. again i dream that india wil make somethin n protect the whole world(just like in captain vyom)*gigasmilies.googlepages.com/10.gif*gigasmilies.googlepages.com/10.gif*gigasmilies.googlepages.com/10.gif

OP
iNFiNiTE

iNFiNiTE

The cake is a lie!!!
The best thing is that the entire sys is being developed indigenously without any external help.:D :D Here's something else to cheer about :

Source
Agni 4 Long Range Missile - Capable Of Striking Inland China
India announced major plans to increase its nuclear capabilities Wednesday, saying it was close to testing a ballistic missile capable of hitting targets up to 6,000 kilometres (3,800 miles) away.

Such a distance would nearly double the military's current strike range, putting targets even in Europe within reach, and came one day after neighbouring Pakistan tested a nuclear capable cruise missile. M. Natarajan, who heads the Indian government's Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO), said flight tests of Agni-IV ballistic missiles would begin within months.

"We want to repeat the tests and we have plans for a minimum two such repeats," Natarajan told India's Times Now private television network. "One, sometime within the first quarter of next year, and another within nine to 12 months," said the chief of the DRDO, which has been developing India's missile arsenal since 1983.

"Although I won't say the exact figure I would reckon the figure of 5,000 to 6,000 kilometres should be quite adequate for the country's needs." V. K. Sarswat, head of the DRDO's strategic systems branch, confirmed the Agni-IV was under development while other scientists told AFP it was likely to be fully operational within three years.

India in April tested its longest-range Agni-III missile, capable of reaching targets 3,500 kilometres inside neighbouring China, with Saraswat saying the weapon was being further upgraded. New Delhi has already deployed two variants of the Agni -- a 700-kilometre (434-mile) Agni-I and the 2,500-kilometre (1,550-mile) range Agni-II after flight-testing both missiles numerous times since 1993.

The comments by the DRDO officials followed rival Pakistan's announcement that it had tested a nuclear-capable cruise missile, vowing a strong response to any international attempt to seize its atomic arsenal. India and Pakistan have fought three wars, two of them over the disputed northern territory of Kashmir. The two countries are currently engaged in peace talks over a range of bilateral issues, including Kashmir, but both have continued a military build-up.

Saraswat also announced two tests earlier this month of Indian manufactured interceptor missiles, saying they performed better than Patriot air-defence batteries manufactured by US defence group Raytheon. Work on the two separate nuclear-capable missile interception systems began in 1998 and despite technology refusals by Western powers they will be ready by 2010, he said.

"The effectiveness of the system would depend on how much can we spend on it but it is required by a country like ours as we have a no-first-use (nuclear strike) principle," the scientist said. Saraswat said the missile defence shield, backed by a string of coastline radars and high-end monitoring systems, would also make it almost impossible for hostile aircraft to penetrate Indian airspace.

"It is a defensive posture and so it doesn't alter the balance (of power) in the region," he said, after two 1.2-tonne interceptors shot down two incoming ballistic missiles in the Bay of Bengal in two tests earlier this month.

kumarmohit

Technomancer
@iNFiNiTE

Means you have not heard about the Surya ICBM program, well it is one of these which people know that it exists but do not say that it exists;)

INS-ANI

In the zone
The best thing is that the entire sys is being developed indigenously without any external help
Thats wrong.
The radar used i greenpine, an israeli radar.
The missilemay be our but there was some collobration between india and israel...

amol48

Searching...
INS-ANI said:
Thats wrong.
The missilemay be our but there was some collobration between india and israel...

hmm.. ye andar ki baat thi... !!

OP
iNFiNiTE

iNFiNiTE

The cake is a lie!!!
@kumarmohit
@iNFiNiTE

Means you have not heard about the Surya ICBM program, well it is one of these which people know that it exists but do not say that it exists

The first thing Surya is an ICBM while the Agni missiles are IRBMs.
IRBM Intermediate Range Ballistic Missile. A ballistic missile having a range of 5,000 miles.

ICBM Intercontinental Ballistic Missile. A ballistic missile with a range in excess of 5,000 miles. The term ICBM applies only to land-based systems, to differentiate them from submarine-launched ballistic missiles (SLBMs).

The first type Surya-1 is suppossed to be 5000miles(8000Kms) in range while the Surya-2 and Surya-3 ranges are expected to be 7500miles(12000kms) and 12500miles(20000kms) respectively. There was even some controversy that the govt has halted or slowed its development under US pressure. Though the project is not entirely secretive and the first test is supposed to be in 2008.

@INS-ANI
Thats wrong.

Look at India rules out Israeli Greenpine radar for its Prithvi missile

or India does not need to integrate Prithvi missile with Israeli Greenpine radar as a defense cover – India has a far better solution for nuclear shield
Aug 17,2005
People were spreading a lot of rumors that India to integrate Prithvi missile with Israeli Greenpine radar as a defense cover.

All speculation came to an end when India’s defense ministry said that is not the case. India as a matter of fact is developing a far better nuclear shield that China or Pakistan can never penetrate.

According to media reports, Defense Minister Pranab Mukherjee on Wednesday ruled out any move to convert the short-range surface-to-surface Prithvi missile into an anti-missile or a nuclear shield.

"There are no plans to integrate Prithvi missile with Israeli Greenpine radar as a defence cover in respect of nuclear threat," Defence Minister Pranab Mukherjee told the Rajya Sabha in written answer.

The Minister's reply assumes significance amidst reports that Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) has been working on a project to develop an anti-missile shield. But experts feel that Prithvi with its liquid base propellent does not fill the bill.

While working on development of an indigenous system, India is also looking to acquire such a system from abroad with the US administration now offering it advanced Patriot PAC-3 anti-missile system.

Last edited:

kumarmohit

Technomancer
I just wanted to say that with the coming of Surya, the greatness of Agni series is a thing of past, and oh I know the difference bw ICBM and IRBM;)

OP
iNFiNiTE

iNFiNiTE

The cake is a lie!!!
^^ Sorry if I offended you. Just thought i should mention it while I am at it.
Anyway our missile programme rox.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom