incorrect gps position on my phone????

Status
Not open for further replies.

raja2281

Journeyman
hi guys
i was checking my location on my htc legend with google maps. it shows akola as my position whereas i am in mumbai. y is that? wht cud be wrong?

sriharsha_madineni

Cyborg Agent
looks like you might have switched off GPS, so it might be using Wireless networks (A-GPS) for locating your phone and hence incorrect position.

Try it again with GPS Enabled.

*img84.imageshack.us/img84/3904/cap201005271943.jpg

OP
R

raja2281

Journeyman
@raja2281
Also try this, disable use wireless networks and only Enable GPS and try this time
tried it. in location settings i disabled wireless networks and enabled gps satellites. then started google maps then asked for my location, it used gprs connection alongwith gps to determine and after a few seconds location not available temporarily appears. it continues to happen all day. is there any subscription that i need ???

sriharsha_madineni

Cyborg Agent
You have to wait until GPS locks into position, what is the status of GPS icon in notification bar, while you get this error! Is it blinking or fixed??
No subscription needed for Google maps, its free :) it uses GPRS to download map data

OP
R

raja2281

Journeyman
the gps icon keeps blinking and then the msg pops up as location not available temporarily. i suppose E icon isnt showing two way signal so gprs might not be active so location is not getting determined.

sriharsha_madineni

Cyborg Agent
no,positioning is irrespective of GPRS, gps locks your position, but the application needs network connection to work, otherwise it won't start.

This time wait till the icon stops blinking and gets fixed, then it automatically shows your current position. it seems you are clicking "My position" before GPS is locked. It depends on your current location, it might even take 3-5 mins to lock. So try it now

Alternatively install "compass" app from market to check if GPS module is working correctly.

OP
R

raja2281

Journeyman
i inserted a different network sim card and then it showed my location. so i guess some problem with gprs settings of that sim card. thx a lot sriharsha.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom