in which language is LINUX coded?

Status
Not open for further replies.

iinfi

mekalodu
there are a number of Linux distributions in the market today!
in which language is Linux OS coded? how do developers code the enhancements to the OS ? frm where is the source code available?

is it all done jus using C and C++?? what abt the networking part coding ... can it also be done using C and C++

tuxfan

Technomancer
escape7 said:
As far as i know, Linux is coded in Unix...
You are wrong sir. Linux (or rather GNU/Linux) and Unix are both Operating Systems.

Linux kernel is coded in C as ujjwal has pointed out.

OP
iinfi

iinfi

mekalodu
both unix and linux can be networked and connected to the net ... for that network coding is required !!

can that be done in using C ??

and what is GNU C?? how different is that frm turbo C coding which we normally do??

escape7

What? Where? How?
tuxfan said:
escape7 said:
As far as i know, Linux is coded in Unix...
You are wrong sir. Linux (or rather GNU/Linux) and Unix are both Operating Systems.

Linux kernel is coded in C as ujjwal has pointed out.

:oops: I read somewhere that the source code is same for both...is it correct?

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
yep windows was coded 1st in c++ only, under unix...

I wonder that the current linux is also coded in c or is it c++ or python or perl or lisp or java or all of them mixed ?

tuxfan

Technomancer
iinfi said:
what is GNU C?? how different is that frm turbo C coding which we normally do??
GNU C and Turbo C are both C compilers. There will be minor variations as regards some functions, libraries, etc. But ultimately both are C compilers so got to be at least 90% same. Never used GNU C.

GNU C is available for free from *www.gnu.org. But if you use GNU C and its libraries, you have to release your software under GNU/GPL license i.e. you have to also release your source code and let someone copy, reuse, improve, etc.

escape7 said:
I read somewhere that the source code is same for both...is it correct?
You are touching delicate strings by making such statements :lol: IMHO there are differences in UNIX and Linux and they neither are same nor have same source code.

SCO has sued IBM and some others claiming that these companies have used UNIX source code in Linux and thereby violated their copyright.

You can get lots of articles on that law suit here

GNUrag

FooBar Guy
iinfi said:
can VC++.NET replace C ????
lol..
C is C.. and C will always be C..
All these plus and nets wont make C any different.

For lawsuites on IBM, Novell, AT&T and others, head over straight to *www.groklaw.net/
This site aims to keep track of various legal developments happening in Free Software world. It doubles up as a reference database to find out how much these money hungry companies have tormented the free software community.

@tuxfan you know a bit of law, and can make sense out of the contents of gorklaw.

nirubhai

Broken In
different languages have different applications.
same language can not be used for all purposes.
yet, C has been so powerfull and popular that no language till now is able to actually replace it.

but, in todays world easier, higher level languages (vb, c#, java, scripting) are preferred over the lower (assembly) or the middle (C) level languages.
most of the higher level languages inherit features and syntax from C

any language that can interact directly with hardware can be used to write OS.
C has best skillset for that. normally you won't any OS written in single language.... for the reason mentioned in 1st sentence.

have a nice time.....

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
C is the king of all languages! learn C and any lingo will be a lot easier to understand! afaik unix and C were developed side by side by dennis ritche, rite?

also yes, linux was coded on minx. but then minix is an os. not sure wot compiler was used for linux. i think the kernel was coded in C under that os. correct me if i am wrong.

OP
iinfi

iinfi

mekalodu
c is the mother of all languages .... i v been hearing this and know this for quite some time now....
but there is a lota hype abt this .net and VC++ and so on .... so jus asked this forum members what ur opinion is ...

thanks for ur answers .... i got the reply ....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom