[Views] In regards to WD Black Warranty period

The Sorcerer

oh wow...Xenforo!!!
This case came to my attention about a WD Black drive with 2 years warranty viz. mentioned in another Indian tech forum (Link is here). I could have posted there but since the admins/mods have first kept a setting that they can only post my comment after mods' approval and later locked the login account, there's no point in honouring the forum by posting it over there. I am posting here because eventually it spreads in other forums.

Sai Computers claimed that there are 2 versions of WD Black drive: one with 2 years warranty and one with 5 years warranty. He also claimed that WD Black with 5 years warranty will cost Rs. 1,000/- more. They went on by saying that they got the update from WD officially about the "2 versions" of WD Black.

Here's the part when I do my thing :p.

I pinged WD India. All WD Blacks comes with 5 years warranty period by default- no if, and no buts, atleast at the point of writing this. There are no such thing called 2 versions of the WD Black. If anyone spins such garbage, do educate them. True, you can't make horse out of donkeys. But you can save yourself from being cheated.

Its lucky that the in case of the guy whom I linked to another forum has a proper bill- even much better- the warranty period was mentioned on the bill- the way that is should be in the first place with all retailers, so WD is going to make sure that the warranty period on the serial number will reflect 5 years of warranty period. I cannot stress the importance of having a bill with you. In many cases people have conveniently lost the bill and also saying that "warranty period can be traced from the serial number" well- this is one of the reason why a hard copy is far more importance. Maintaining a separate file for keeping all the bills with you will not cost you a fortune.

Anyone has such issues regarding warranty period of hard drives, provided you have a proper bill with you let me know.

Whether its mentioned in the bill or not, make absolutely sure the warranty period is reflected on the serial number. You can do so by checking it here.

Last edited:

gameranand

Living to Play
Thanks for the info. I purchased WD Black Edition from Flipkart and there it stated 5 years warranty so I guess I am eligible for 5 year warranty right ??

OP
The Sorcerer

The Sorcerer

oh wow...Xenforo!!!
^^ Yes but make sure the 5 year warranty is reflecting on the serial number as well. You can do so by by following this: *westerndigital.secure.force.com/WarrantyCheck?lang=en

Top Bottom