In-ear Headphones under 1000rs??

Techguy

In the zone
Piston 3 are comparable to the superior KZ ATE over the ED9 whose sound signature is not what i prefer which has a forward balance. For me its the Piston 3 all the way or the ATE.

Forward balance? How was the sound isolation on all of them (Piston3, ED9, ATE) ?

The Incinerator

Human Spambot
Piston 3 has a great sound with super isolation .
To each his own as the ear canal differ.

ED 9 is what I hate and ATE is what I love. But if you ask me Ill save and order the KZ Psychic ZN1(Copernicus).
I already own both Piston 2 & 3 , and 3 is any day a better buy over the Knowledge ED 9 which has poor build quality and bright and forward sound signature.

Got the budget get the KZ Psychic ZN1(Copernicus)

Techguy

In the zone
Piston 3 has a great sound with super isolation .
To each his own as the ear canal differ.

ED 9 is what I hate and ATE is what I love. But if you ask me Ill save and order the KZ Psychic ZN1(Copernicus).
I already own both Piston 2 & 3 , and 3 is any day a better buy over the Knowledge ED 9 which has poor build quality and bright and forward sound signature.

Got the budget get the KZ Psychic ZN1(Copernicus)

Too expensive

- - - Updated - - -

+1 to KZ Psychic ZN1

Too expensive

High-Fidelity

Journeyman
Very hard to believe that people here are saying pistons 3 has better build quality then Knowledge Zenith, Knowledge Zenith has metal housings and piston 3 has plastic housing.

I am using EDSE, ED8m and ED9 and all these 3 are working like a charm. I also tried the Pistons 2 and did not like it at all. I have not tried the pistons 3 though so cannot say, people at head-fi are saying that ED9 is better than most of the IEMs costing twice and thrice of its cost.

maxxxgupta007

Right off the assembly line
In the past i've used Sennheiser CX 180 , JBL TEMPO J01A etc. Currently using Cowon em1
Could u share ur experience with all these earphones u used..i am thinking of buying cx180 or em1 or Sony ex110lp so could u share ur review or experience regarding them and how is ed9 compare to them

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
Very hard to believe that people here are saying pistons 3 has better build quality then Knowledge Zenith, Knowledge Zenith has metal housings and piston 3 has plastic housing.

I am using EDSE, ED8m and ED9 and all these 3 are working like a charm. I also tried the Pistons 2 and did not like it at all. I have not tried the pistons 3 though so cannot say, people at head-fi are saying that ED9 is better than most of the IEMs costing twice and thrice of its cost.

The housing only isn't the only factor determining the build quality. The cable also counts.

Nerevarine

Incarnate
+1, ES18 cables were a nightmare, started getting damaged in only 1 year of usage ..

Also, Mi In-Ear Headphones - Mi India

Is this the Xiaomi Pistons 3, all it says on the page is Xiaomi earphones and nothing else.. right now it's out of stock, once it's available i plan on buying

The Incinerator

Human Spambot
ED9 cables are as cheap as it can get, even the metal housing finish ain't great. The blue and red rings on the IEMs fade in no time. And I hate bright and forward sound signature which is exactly what the ED9 has. I love a sound signature which ain't too bright and fatiguing and has richness warmth and a TAD laidback , this makes the soundstage more palpable. Piston 3 has signature very close to that. Piston 3 ain't the greatest but to me they are better over the ED9. Sound is subjective and to each his own. The only Knowledge I liked was the ATE. Really worth every penny.

powerhoney

Cyborg Agent
ED9 cables are as cheap as it can get, even the metal housing finish ain't great. The blue and red rings on the IEMs fade in no time. And I hate bright and forward sound signature which is exactly what the ED9 has. I love a sound signature which ain't too bright and fatiguing and has richness warmth and a TAD laidback , this makes the soundstage more palpable. Piston 3 has signature very close to that. Piston 3 ain't the greatest but to me they are better over the ED9. Sound is subjective and to each his own. The only Knowledge I liked was the ATE. Really worth every penny.
I'll beg to differ with you on that...
I think the ED9 has a great build quality compared to the pistons (am comparing with the piston 2)... Most of the piston 2s that I have seen have got damaged even after all that Kevlar mumbo jumbo and what not... Typical Xiaomi!!! Same thing happens with their mobiles and tablets...
No idea about the piston 3 though...

Also, don't know whether the KZ ED9 will survive rough handling but in the two weeks that I have been using it, it's impressed me with its build quality...
I am not that rough a user so if you are the type who perform experiments with your IEMs, none will survive... Unless you get some real expensive $h!t...

About the sound signature, its really subjective and varies from person to person... But, what's good with the ED9 is that you get two filters, i.e., two sound signatures, viz., an okay bass heavy filter and a mind-blowing neutral filter...

The main thing is that without auditioning the ED9 or the piston 3 in person, a layman won't be able to differentiate which is better...

My advice to any of you guys who are in a dilemma of which to buy, just buy one of the two... They will anyway have a much superior sound quality than the IEMs you are currently using...

About build quality, that's subjective too and varies from person to person... Some of the other forum members ES18 or EM1 went kaput in a couple of weeks, some have continued to survive for years!!!

The Incinerator

Human Spambot
I'm using a Xiaomi Mi3 for an year and have people around me using Redmi , Mi4 and powerbanks without an issue .... , I wonder what went wrong with you. As with build quality its exactly what I'm telling here that it's not the housing but the cables that gets damaged first and ED9 has all the potential to be damaged before a piston anyday. I own both the pistons 2 ( still going great despite the heavy abuse) & 3 and have heard the Knowledge from a friend for over 8 hrs and I didn't like ED9 sound signature, which I found bright and forward. Comparing the build quality and design of a Red Dot award winner ( Piston 3 ) amuses me! I'm sure lot of people are commenting here without a A to B testing here.

I find filters and ports for IEMs messy and a bit too much. I have a Sleek Audio SA-6 which is the mother of all ports and filter tuning iem and its plain messy and I use only the neutral / default ports and filters. Basically one day everybody ends up doing that.

Last edited:

$hadow

Geek in making
I have been using pistons absolutely roughly for the past year or so and they looks like just new. I have used many others but these looks absolutely robust in terms of build.

Top Bottom