IE 7 Beta 3: A slight review

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

gxsaurav

Microsoft has just released the new & final beta for Internet Explorer 7; the next release will be final, sometime slated in late 2006. It’s available for users of Windows XP SP2 only running genuine copies.

U can download the 13 MB installer from the IE 7 Home page. This review is written, to be over the review of IE 7 beta 2

The main emphasis of IE 7 is security, it’s the first one to provide phishing filter, which is now also copied to Firefox & other browsers, by the help of plugins or extensions. It has a built in pop-up blocker, which by default blocks all popup except for the one your have clicked

U need to uninstall IE 7 beta 2/beta 1, before u can install this version, as it changes a really wide range of icons to those used in Windows Vista, in the system

Upon first start, u won’t notice any change, but look carefully, & u will see that the toolbar icons are changed, which is more like XPish, instead of Vista, now it depends on you weather u like it or not

*img328.imageshack.us/img328/251/ntoolbar8vl.jpg

The quick tab is better now, previously, it doesn’t matter how many tabs were there, the preview size was same, but now, the preview size depends on the number of tabs. With more tabs, the preview size is small

Click to see

There are a few new & refined options added in Internet option section, u can customize it even further

OP
G

gxsaurav

just run the file xmllitesetup.exe & reboot. tabs will come back

gary4gar

GaurishSharma.com
nice to tabbed broswing in ie at last.
now the masses will atleast know what is a tab? :D

anyways a sweet & short review mate!!

JGuru

Wise Old Owl
The Microsoft guys don't have brains of their own. They copied the tabbed browsing
feature from FireFox!! IE sucks with its security flaws & browser hijacking adwares.
Better use FireFox or Opera. Dumb that IE in a trash.

kalpik

In Pursuit of "Happyness"
^^ Opera was the first tabbed browser, as far as i know.. I may be wrong!

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
it s better late than never with vista coming (when only billy g knows) .... IE7 will get the required platform and firefox and opera will have to come up with something new to sustain the pressure as now there will only b little difference between them and IE ...... tabs have arrived, anti pishing an all that stuff

imdbest

Broken In
Used The IE7 beta today
it luks cool
it sux or rox will be decided in few more uses
still luks lot better

OP
G

gxsaurav

one thing i don't like about IE which i like about Firefox, adblock

now, this is good & bad, cos ADs pay to many of the workers, they are required to run the bussiness.....

although there is Adblock for IE 7, but it has problem that it rejects all the cookies at all

deathvirus_me

Wise Old Owl
Hmmm,,, . finally got the tabs working .. and absolutely love the quick tabs feature .. here's a screenshot :

*img79.imageshack.us/img79/3329/as0fr.jpg

Sorry i had to post the complete pic.(only had this URL) ...

Anyway .. this is present in Firefox too .. look for the Viamatic FoxPose extension .. does a similar job .. but the IE7 one looks a tad better ..

vibe666

Right off the assembly line
Opera was indeed the first tabbed browser, and Opera 9 which was released recently is light year ahead of either IE7 or Firefox in terms of functionality usability, speed and stability.

you'll find most of the optional extras that are available for firefox are already included in Opera and just need turning on and off.

there's also a version out there for just about every electronic device going, including mobiles phones and every flavour of PDA, as well as portable games consoles.

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
I have been using opera since the last two years and i love it. regarding the first tabbed browser.... well a browser called NetCaptor was the first to implement the tabbed browsing. and later others followed.

NetCaptor is an Internet Explorer shell, meaning that it uses the Trident rendering engine of Internet Explorer. It provides an alternative, tab-based interface for IE users, along with an expanded feature set.
NetCaptor was one of the first browsers to display loaded websites in "tabs" instead of separate windows (see Tabbed Document Interface).

It has been in development since 1997, and features have gradually been added over the years. Some of its features are original, while others were copied from browsers like Opera.

Read More

The last release of NetCaptor was 7.5.4 in February 2005.So i guess there is no further development and the browser is dead.

EDIT: ha ha ha still one more bouncer .

Web browsers are notable for implementing this kind of interface (called tabbed browsing). BookLink Technologies pioneered this interface design in its InternetWorks browser in 1994. Independently, the founders of Opera built an MDI-based browser in the same year (via a technical preview not available publicly; a public release was made in 1996). The tabbed interface approach was then followed by the Internet Explorer shell NetCaptor in 1997. These pioneers were followed by a number of others like IBrowse in 1999, Opera in 2000 (with the release of version 4), Mozilla in 2001 (through the MultiZilla extension in April of 2001 and a built-in tabbed browsing mode added to Mozilla 0.9.5 in October of 2001), Konqueror 3.1 in January 2003, and Safari in 2003. As of 2006, most graphical web browsers support a tabbed interface, including the beta of Internet Explorer 7. Software, such as the freeware AM Browser, is also available to add a TDI around earlier versions of Internet Explorer. OmniWeb version 5, released August 2004, includes visual tabbed browsing which displays preview images of pages in a drawer to the left or right of the main browser window. Avant Browser, Maxthon and Slim Browser are some of the most popular tabbed browsers using Internet Explorer's rendering engine.
source

and for the shocker Microsoft had implemented booklink's technology into word 6.0 :O and booklink's was aquired by AOL. I found two documents dated 1994, take a look at these. its really interesting to read those documents from the past :d.
link

this link has text regarding Internet World show in Washington in 1994 link 2 . Just read it ;) .

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom