Ideal Home PC August 2004

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

gxsaurav

It’s been 2 months since my last Ideal Home PC config, prices has come down & new products are available, so I m updating my config for Ideal Home PC

CPU = P4 2.8 GHz, northwood, 512 KB L2 cache & 800 FSB

Although Prescott 2.8 GHz is available for 1,500 more but due to noi performance benefit I m not recommending it

Motherboard = Intel 865GBF with LAN
Still the motherboard of my choice, although U won’t get any over clocking features but U will get solid stability & performance even at Stock speed, it is kind of set it & forget it motherboard, be sure to update the BIOS

The bundle of 2.8 GHz P4 & This motherboard is available for Rs 13,500 here in Lucknow, so check for the prices at your place too

RAM =2X256MB DDR400

I m still recommending 512 MB DDR400 RAM, as it can be found for Rs 4,900 with Hynix or Spectec chips, Spectec chips are not the good over clocker but they provide low timing & nice performance even at stock speed. Hynix on the other hand can be over clocked, but I don’t recommending over clocking at all due to heat issues

Storage = 80 GB Samsung SP0802N or Seagate Barracuda 7200.7

Both of these models provide 3 years warranty & ample storage for anything U want to do, I won’t recommend going for any higher for home use but if U need go for higher capacity. Also look for the 8 MB cache models if they are available, then don’t even look back at the 2 MB buffer models

Cabinet = your choice with 350W SMPS

Cabinet is up to your choice look wise, although look for a model with at least 1 rear & 1 front intake fan space, there are some models with side exhaust fans, U can also go for PCI slot fans which just attaches to the empty PCI brackets at the back of your cabinet & exhaust, I recommend attaching one to the PCI bracket below your AGP card for good exhaust

With these I m recommending a 350W PSU, they are quite easy to find now so there is no use not going for these, u can also go for branded ones like Power safe but they will cost U above Rs.1,500

Optical Drive = Samsung SM-352N/B combo drive/ DVD Drive

I U r buying the PC for the first time then I will say that go for a Combo drive as DVDs are available quite easily now, but If U already own a CD Writer I will say to go for a DVD Drive from Samsung, LG or Lite on, they are about the same, with Lite-on is not easily available

Floppy & Modem

Go for these only if U want to

Speakers

Although it depends on your choice but I will recommend the Altec Lansing 621 or iSound DJ 2.1 speaker set, they are both 2.1, U better look for the available 5.1 models as they will be costly.

Sound Card

Onboard sound provided is enough as the cheapest creative Audigy is for Rs 5,000. It supports 5.1 channel audio too.

Keyboard & Mouse

Since it is a Home PC, go wireless, The Logitech Wireless Optical Mouse black is available for Rs 1,400 & Keyboard choice is up to your usage, I prefer Microsoft Multimedia Keyboard with this Logitech mouse, or U can go for the Logitech Cordless Freedom desktop set

Monitor

I prefer Samsung 763MB or 773s 17� models, there are a few Philips Lite frame models available in 17� but they are all look, go for them if look matters to U, also these are hard to find. Samsung 793MB is still starting to show but in low quantity

Graphics Card

The holy tool for every gamer, in the mid range category for home use, I would say go for Gigabyte FX5700 or Radeon 9600 Pro models, U can also go for Powercolor Radeon 9800 Pro for Rs.12,500, or Gigabyte FX5900XT for Rs 20,300 but then U have to look for them as they area not easily available.

U can go for any other componenst U want, however these are my stock recomendations

akshayt

Wise Old Owl
MY IDEAL VALUE FOR MONEY PC

CPU
amd 2800/3000/3200(3200-clawhammer,1mb cache)=8k/10k/12k
Any of these especially in gaming is better than a 2.8c/e and inpower with atleast 3.0ghz ht.

MOBO
Asus K8V=7k
Good performance/features/brand

RAM
512mb*2 ddr 400 hynix/transcend/corsair ram=4500/4600/5500 *2

HD
80gb 7200rpm samsung=3k

Cabinet
Mr Lava Lava ,refer this months' digit rival 'xxxx',chat his is party
400watts ps
2 fans

liteon dvd rom=1350
liteon cd rw=1500 +-

17" samsung 793mb or nec one(nec-16000) crt flat

techcome kb multimedia with 18hot keys,black and stylish for Rs.395

microsoft optical mouse=1k

128mb radeon 9800pro powercolour = 12950

altec lansing 4.1=3300

50-60k

godzi_85

In the zone
whoa... cool configs ppl... but the way?? do you guys do this every month... if yes.. then i`m sure gonna get popular in college pretty soon..
anyways... thanks for the config... i actually recommended the second config(cause i`m a big amd fan)... and he`s gonna buy the pc.. although with less ram and a mid range card...
thanks again..

OP
G

gxsaurav

The PC config I gave can be baught for the max of Rs. 40,000. Rs 60,000 is my High End PC rate, for Value Rs. 20,000. Also U didn't mentioned the price

OP
G

gxsaurav

godzi_85

I do it usually when I think the prices are rite, & we are getting the best price to performance ratio according to indian market, A CPU difference less then 400 MHz is not considered more powerfull by me, thats I didn't recomend a 2.6 GHz HT as the performance over 2.4 HT (my last given config) was negligible in real world gaming

Naga

Broken In
Don't u guys have anything better to do than offer unsolicited advice? Can u imagine the clutter that will arise if everyone of us who's a bit knowledgeable or just reads a lot of reviews starts offering his/her advice about what to buy?? Use this forum to reach out (offer/ask for help), not to massage ur egos and flaunt ur knowledge about what's good. Everyone has diff hw requirements. So there's no such thing as 'ideal' PC. Only what u need/want and what u can afford..!

OP
G

gxsaurav

Naga

don't like it, ok , don't like it, it will help others

Loki87

Broken In
besides someone can use this advice....like me
though i cant afford second config
i also think gfx card is better than ati radeon right now and amd 64 of course is also good vfm(value for money) 8)

Naga

Broken In
Chill, guys. I was just saying that it would be better if u would post ur budget and requirements and THEN ask for suggestions about the ideal config. That way u would be getting specific solutions to ur specific needs. Is that a worse idea than posting random configs?!? Anyways, its ur forum. I was just giving my own opinion about how to maximise this forum's effectiveness.

blade_runner

Cyborg Agent
Naga said:
Chill, guys. I was just saying that it would be better if u would post ur budget and requirements and THEN ask for suggestions about the ideal config. That way u would be getting specific solutions to ur specific needs. Is that a worse idea than posting random configs?!? Anyways, its ur forum. I was just giving my own opinion about how to maximise this forum's effectiveness.

Naga is quite right in saying this. There can't be a Ideal Pc config so to say ........Imagine if everyone started posting configs !! that would create a huge mess !!

OP
G

gxsaurav

Usually, peoples who need help after watching my config pm me, provide their budget & want me to make a config for them, this is to help them make a base config based on which the ywant their config t be made

blade_runner

Cyborg Agent
gxsaurav said:
Usually, peoples who need help after watching my config pm me, provide their budget & want me to make a config for them, this is to help them make a base config based on which the ywant their config t be made

In that case ppl wud pm yuo in any case if they needed a config, that however does not qualify for a reason to post help (read configs) without people asking for it in the first place.

akshayt

Wise Old Owl
By ideal pc i mean that can run all apps and games well and gives best bang for bucks and is the most commmon recommedndation for the commonly for all most all.

IDEAL PC @ CHEAP COST

2.4ht=6k
865chipsets(refer chip from last month)=2.5k-6k(otherwise go for asus or 875-7k)
512mb ddr 400 hynix=4.5k(shouldn't be more)
128mb geforce 4 ti 4200=5k
80gb 7200rpm=3k
cabinet+cooling -Mr Lava Lava,chip this month=1500
lg flat 17" =6k
samsung 763mb 17"=8k-recommended
kb+mouse=1.5k
altec lansing=4.1 = 3300
600va ups=2k

about 35k

icecoolz

Cyborg Agent
I wouldnt mind sending PM's to people for suggestions for the configurations...if I knew who to PM in the first place. And second, with the hardware industry changing so fast I dont see what the problem is in such posts....Maybe even make this a sticky so that it gets montly updates. Also all people here buy components at most times so a guide such as this would be nice for others to share the common info rather than bombaring somones PM's with such requests. I thought the idea is to share info.....

Naga

Broken In
Who'd have thought a simple config post would draw so much discusiion? Anyways, its a free country.Carry on guys... so, who's having a REAL problem then? Just kidding, discusion is the main aim of forums, right?

blade_runner

Cyborg Agent
Naga said:
Who'd have thought a simple config post would draw so much discusiion? Anyways, its a free country.Carry on guys... so, who's having a REAL problem then? Just kidding, discusion is the main aim of forums, right?

Tell u what Naga, why don't we guys start posting our config threads !! :twisted: :twisted: ! that'd be nice won't it ?

plasmafire

Journeyman
lay offa the dude u guyz...u donn think this config is best bang 4 buck...go ahead post urs inside this thread..this post is useful 2 noobs. so u demigods lay off. kapisci

DKant

In the zone
Uhh...what's the big deal? sauravx started a thread, posted what he considered the Ideal Home PC config. U want more specific(viz. price, performance) info, post in this thread, and u get the info u want from others who reply 2 this thread. U disagree..then u post ur own "Ideal Config". That's all. Where does the question of ego and all that bs come in? I don't get it. All rite u want 2 cut down on the clutter in the forum..but that doesn't mean u start attacking every damn thread!

And if "Ideal configs" are meaningless, why does every magazine worth its salt carry such an article every few issues? It helps people prepare a base, that's all. Chill everybody.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom