In the zone
Hello

My system config is as follows:

1. WinXP Pro SP3
  2. ASUS P5B-VM motherboard
  3. 2 Seagate SATAII HDD
  4. 1 80GB Seagate IDE HDD
  5. 1 LiteOn DVD RW IDE

Yesterday I got a BSOD and as I rebooted I found that both my IDE devices are missing and can not be recognized by XP. While booting I found that both the IDE devices are properly listed but as soon as WinXP starts, both these drives are not recognized.:4-dontkno

I checked Control Panel>Administrative Tools>Event Log> System, I found that XP listed a error related with JMicron driver. After downloading and reinstalling JMicron driver (which I hope was right version), the DVD RW drive is now listed but my IDE drive is still missing which contains very important data and my Linux :(

As both the devices are properly listed during pre-OS boot, that I think means that the issue is related to OS, and it is not a driver issue. In BIOS I checked that JMicron controller is set to BASIC (there are 2 other modes, but I have no idea what do those two mean)!

Could someone please help me out to resolve this issue? Its really urgent for me to resolve.

Thank you.

patkim

Cyborg Agent
I assume you have DOS Boot CD.
If you just keep the IDE HDD and DVD drive and boot to DOS from CD, do you see the folders and drives on the IDE HDD from DOS commands like DIR, FDISK etc
If yes, probably HDD is ok and something needs to be fixed in XP.

Try to go to device manager in XP System properties and do a manual scan for hardware change..does it detect IDE HDD?

OP
src2206

src2206

In the zone
I assume you have DOS Boot CD.
If you just keep the IDE HDD and DVD drive and boot to DOS from CD, do you see the folders and drives on the IDE HDD from DOS commands like DIR, FDISK etc
If yes, probably HDD is ok and something needs to be fixed in XP.

Try to go to device manager in XP System properties and do a manual scan for hardware change..does it detect IDE HDD?

Thanks for the reply mate. :)

Sorry I do not have DOS boot disc! Do you mean the Floppy that can be made to boot in DOS using XP's format tool?

When the PC starts, just after the Splash screen of ASUS, both the drives show clearly but XP can not recognize. :(

Here is the Event Log: Event Type: Error
Event Source: JRAID
Event Category: None
Event ID: 9
Date: 12/31/2008
Time: 3:53:42 PM
User: N/A
Computer: INDIVIDU-FAD8BA
Description:
The device, \Device\Scsi\JRAID1, did not respond within the timeout period.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at *go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
Data:
0000: 0f 00 10 00 01 00 64 00 ......d.
0008: 00 00 00 00 09 00 04 c0 .......À
0010: 00 01 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
0018: 01 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
0020: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
0028: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
0030: 00 00 00 00 07 00 00 00 ........

I do have a UBUNTU Live CD and I shall try to boot and see if the HDD shows up and post here ASAP.

Last edited:

patkim

Cyborg Agent
yes even floppy will do..if you have one and a floppy drive.

I am not expert in this..but looks like you are using RAID with the two SATA HDDs.
Something might need to be corrected there in those settings, which might be resulting into failure to detect the IDE HDD.

Status
Not open for further replies.