i7 and i5 config suggestions

sreedharvenugopal

The Designer
Hi guys, check out these two system configs. Let me know the positives and negatives of each. Finally which system would you choose and why.

System 1:
Iball velocity cabinet
Intel i5 2500 proccy (non k) with stock heatsink
4gb kingston hyperx ddr3 1600mhz
Zebronics 500watt psu
GTX 550
Intel DH67Cl b3 mobo.

System 2:
Coolermaster CM690 cabinet
Intel i7 2600k proccy with coolermaster hyper tx3
4gb corsair ddr3 1333mhz
Corsair TX650
Msi R5770 Hawk
Biostar TZ68K+ mobo

System 2 is mine and system 1 is a friend's. I use mine for photoshop, premiere pro, etc. my friends is all into gaming.

My thoughts on the limitations of each:
System 1: Needs a better psu than zebronics. Also the 1600mhz ram might underclock to 1333 as it hasn't been overclocked. The h67 mobo doesn't support overclocking.
System 2: The 5770 is slower than the 550. Ram could have been faster, maybe overclocked.

Thank you. :)

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
i would take system 2 because i am not a gamer.also zebronics is a big NO for a i2500 system especially when graphics card is GTX550.a value ram is not a good match for any overclockable processor.i have no idea about iball cabinets but NZXT Gamma for 2600(outside mumbai)is the minimum i would recommend for a core i5 system with a GTX550.

guru_urug

iGoogle
System 1:
Iball velocity cabinet
Intel i5 2500 proccy (non k) with stock heatsink
4gb kingston hyperx ddr3 1600mhz
Zebronics 500watt psu
GTX 550
Intel DH67Cl b3 mobo.

System 2:
Coolermaster CM690 cabinet
Intel i7 2600k proccy with coolermaster hyper tx3
4gb corsair ddr3 1333mhz
Corsair TX650
Msi R5770 Hawk
Biostar TZ68K+ mobo

System 1 has some big flaws(marked in red).
System 2 doesnt have any flaws as such but I would have made some changes to use the money more aptly(bold)

System 1:
*CABINET
The cabinet is not really good. I wouldnt trust the quality and the airfflow. Also I doubt there is enough space for cable mngmt.
I dont know the cost of that cabinet and I havent heard much abt it. @ 1k zeb bijli (without smps) and @ 2k NZXT gamma is recommended.
*GENERAL FLAW
For a gaming machine the most imp part is the GPU which in this case is at best mid ranged. Still even for mid range I would have chosen the hd 6770 over the GTX 550 since there is a significant price difference and negligible difference in framerate. Also 550 consumes much more power. At the same price or a little more he could have got a much better gaming card like HD 6850
Also if cost was a concern, he could have gone for a i5 2300; there is negligible difference in gaming and applications. OR chosen a AMD based setup and saved enough money for a 560ti or HD 6950
*PSU
Bad choice!! Ask him to change it asap. Specially with the 550ti its a disaster waiting to take place. Change it if he loves his PC
*GPU
Bad choice for a gaming PC, a HD 6770 would have saved him money and power too. Also he should have got a better GPU for gaming.
*RAM
That board only supports upto 1333MHz DDR3 RAM, Putting a 1600MHz rated RAM is waste since it will be downclocked.

System 2:
* That cabinet is pretty costly, its a personal choice though. I wont say its a bad choice, I would have rather spent more on the core components and settled for the Gamma.
*Again money saved could have been spent on a better cooler like the CM 212+ . That cooler would have enabled much higher overclocks. Still its ok.
* The PSU is really good. No problems with that again, just that its overkill for this rig. Thats not a bad thing actually and good from future POV. But I would have rather got a seasonic 520II and invested the remaining in a better GPU

The above views are just a personal opinion. :)

Top Bottom