i5 4670k OC - Need insight!

aniket.cain

Padawan
Hi,

I got this new CPU - an i5 4670k and I just want to check how good the chip is. I will overclock later when I get a decent cooler. Right now I am testing with the stock cooler itself.

I tried a little OC with the A-Tuning App that came with the motherboard - Asrock Z87 Extreme4. With everything else selected by the A-Tuning App, I changed the CPU ratio to x46.

Here is my system info with no other app open:

*i39.tinypic.com/5508cl.jpg

How does it look? I do not have much experience with OC. :)
I can see that the voltages have been jacked up by the utility. I let the app select these values itself.

Browsing with 15 tabs open has kept the temps under 40-42 C... and the system has been running fine for the last 1 hour. I have not put it under any stress testing yet. :p

So, if the temperatures are fine, what should else I be concerned of here?

Thanks!

Last edited:
40 C it idle in winters is slightly high. Do some cable management, air flow check and read some online guides on CPU overclocking.

ASHISH65

Technomancer
Oh man please do not overclock it under stock cooler...

It's of no use

@idle Performance will be same whether you oc or not

OP
aniket.cain

aniket.cain

Padawan
Oh man please do not overclock it under stock cooler...

It's of no use

@idle Performance will be same whether you oc or not

I am not keeping my system overclocked right now; I just wanted to check the CPU.

Under medium load (NFS rivals on iGPU) at 43x multiplier on stock voltages I got 56 degrees. I am sure a little overclock is certainly possible with the stock cooler too. But it is not needed yet; in the future maybe..

OP
aniket.cain

aniket.cain

Padawan
Hi!

Sorry for my noobish comments earlier. :D

This stock cooler is noisy and less effective, and needs to go. I am looking for a cooler around 3k for i5-4670k. I do not have plans for any extreme overclocking, only moderate. :)

Which one of these 2 should I pick:
Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo (3.1k online I think) or 212X (2650/-)?

Or perhaps there is something better at this price for this CPU?

Thanks!

Top Bottom