I screwed my X Windows!! again

Status
Not open for further replies.

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
Well I was installing Envy and the installer hanged ( Internet connection Broke :mad: ) so I did a Ctrl+Alt+Bkspace and the X Windows crashed :( stating that module nvidia could not be found so something like that. How can I restore my previous settings? .. will doing a "apt-get install nvidia-settings" fix this problem?

Thanks in advance

EIDT: I tried "apt-get install nvidia-settings" no use :( , uninstalled and reinstalled it but still no use. Can I get back atleast a generic settings for X windows?

Last edited:

adithyagenius

I WANT MORE FPS!!
Get kernel source of same version as your kernel and official nvidia drivers. Start in init lvl3 as root and install the drivers. After installation type "modprobe nvidia" without quotes. You should see the nvidia logo within seconds and return back to console. Now restart at init 5 and see if its working.

OP
RCuber

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
Envy wasnt installed. The envy installer crashed ( Internet connection Disconnected) as it was downloading additional dependencies. When I try to use "X" , I get the message the "Module was not found" and next line "Driver not installed". Basically I think Xorg.config is corrupted. But when I try to Install the nvidia driver I get the message that its already installed :eek:

Last edited:

kalpik

In Pursuit of "Happyness"
Edit xorg.conf, and change driver to "nv" instead of "nvidia", then you can get X to run. From there, install envy again :)

OP
RCuber

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
Phew I installed the nvidia drivers at last.Thanks to Kalpik , Qwerty and also Mehul for helping me :)

kalpik said:
Edit xorg.conf, and change driver to "nv" instead of "nvidia", then you can get X to run. From there, install envy again :)

This was the exact suggestion from qwerty :D ( My internet connection gave a hell lot of trouble today :mad: so could not post it here earlier.) Edited xorg.conf with "nv" instead of "nvidia" and vola X was back .. Again I tried to install the drivers from synaptic but this time too it crashed. Finally installed envy and it installed the latest drivers for me :cool: .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom