I need help assembling the cheapest computer possible

Status
Not open for further replies.

acewin

Point Blanc
well saurav has already said it all, a intel based setup is good, for more cost cutting to save little more truly suggested is trying getting 2nd hand stuffs, besides motherboard procy, keyboard mouse and monitors and RAM(they would be really needed new).

which means get in bulk 2nd hand cabinets and HDDs, 40 or 80 GB would be good enough, because you majorly need to run OS and the application.

For cost cutting you should really try getting 2nd hand cabbys and HDD.

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
basically m2N MX is better as it has nvidia 6100 IGP. But i suppose u wont be needing a gud IGP. The via IGP of K9MMV wud suffice ur needs easily and that mobo also supports X2 dualcore proccys and comes for real cheap.

It wont make ny difference for doin general applications b/w M2N MX and K9MMV. Both has 3yrs warranty.

And BTW, if u order those config in bulk, then u can surelly get a discount of 1.5~2k for each PC.

For a call center, I do think that the realtek HD audio on M2N MX is much much better than VIA's.

Well, you can get branded desktops(from no name companies) for under 10k.

a company called eSys offers them, and they are called Fighter Desktops.
*www.esys.in/eSysPC.asp
see the specs there.

another company called Big Apple(what coincidence) sells these really aged hardware PCs which have 10GB HDD, 64 mb SD RAM, Intel 810 mobos and Celeron 300 processors, 14" monitor, keyboard with touchpad and a phone. Its supposed to be a mini iMac, with everything being built into the monitor. I have seen it in action in a store in bangalore(the guy was using it for billing) and its Rs. 3,500 + 140 tax. Quite good really, if you want just basic word processing and run billing programs.

Anyway, I think you should go for 30 Macs instead. Isn't apple inexpensive ? :p

damn. If you need more downtime than uptime, go for esys PC's.
lolz. but that 3.5k machine I told about is pretty good really. The guy at the billing counter of a store I bought some Pants in told me that its been running for quite some time but its still running great.

Anyway, for a cheap solution assembled,

1. AMD Sempron - you get a few models under 1.25k
2. VIA chipset Mobo - I remember seeing a via mobo for 1.5k in priceguru. I think its MSI
3. Keyboard + Mouse - 0.5k(I remember many models at 0.5k. but expect no multimedia keys)
4. PSU - 400W-600W - 0.6k - zeberonics or any other local desi brand will do
5. Optical Drive - Samsung 16x DVD RW drive - 1.15k
6. HDD - WD 160 GB HDD - 1.6k
7. Cabinet - iBall baby - 0.6k
8. RAM - transcend 512 mb ddr2 667 - 0.5k
9. Monitor - 3.5k for an average 15" CRT

total: 11.2k

I think by going for 80GB HDD and lower end optical drive and rechecking mobo/cpu price(I forgot the current ones. I quoted 6 months old prices) you may find that its below 10k.

But here is the best system ever:

1. Windows Vista Ultimate - 9.999k
2. Paper cut out of alienware computer picture - 0.001k

Total - 10k

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
Thanks for all the help, guys! I'm overwhelmed by the outpour of responses. My heart has swelled to twice its size with gratitude. I'm indebted to all of you for life.

Thanks, in short. :p

We decided to go for an Intex PC. It will cost us about Rs. 12,000 each and comes with a three-year-warranty for the whole computer, so it's the best solution for us. :)

Pathik

Google Bot
Whats the config of that? Make sure you get a pc that consumes low power. The power savings (x30) will matter a lot in the long run.

dOm1naTOr

Wise Old Owl
+1
if its sempron, or athlon 64, then do remember to enable cool and quiet which bring down the CPu clocks to almost one third consuming very less power nd remains cool. Enabling Q-fan will bring down the cpu fan speed to much lower according to the cpu temps and problems related to dust and noise can be minimised.

Thanks for all the help, guys! I'm overwhelmed by the outpour of responses. My heart has swelled to twice its size with gratitude. I'm indebted to all of you for life.

Thanks, in short. :p

We decided to go for an Intex PC. It will cost us about Rs. 12,000 each and comes with a three-year-warranty for the whole computer, so it's the best solution for us. :)
please state the config.
and did you concider the PC I told you ? Its 3,640 including taxes(price in indian rupees)

Its good for call center use, and can run windows xp(but Vector Linux or Win2k recomended)

No games, runs Microsoft Visual Studio Visual Basic 6 apps(used to make call centre and billing programs, etc) confortably.

Looks like an old generation iMac when it had CRT monitor, but only much much better.

And one more thing: if you order for a customised easy to use thin client setup from companies like IBM and HP, you can both save a lot of money and get good industry scale installation/technical support.

PS: not knowing windows is NOT n00bness. Its eliteness.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom