I left Iceweasel(firefox) for some time.any suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

praka123

left this forum longback
I feel it annoying that My Debian Sid Iceweasel doesnt displays renders pages correctly.it gets hanged too often(256MB RAM only :D ).So Any Suggestions guys for Browser except Konqueror ?
Now i am trying Epiphany,it seems fast and renders pages too correctly.but there gripes too.i miss the search bar on the right with iceweasel :( but most other things are there like adblock,download manager integration etc.another big down is that no sound as of now with epiphany :( i have to check what where :rolleyes:.
So Any Other Browsers?

Satissh S

Youngling
It uses the same gecko rendering engine as firefox but just the gtk2 interface rather than XUL. You can get more space for browsing if you want by disabling the menu bar using gconf-editor. Applications -> Epiphany -> Lockdown -> Show Menu Bar [OFF]. (or something similar)

Control Tab wont work for moving through tabs, try [Ctrl] + PageUP/PageDown. Press [Ctlr] + L for quickly moving to address bar.

For the sound part check if the value accessibility.typeaheadfind.enablesound is set to true in about:config.

Are you able to get sound on other applications? Is alsa working? Is it muted perhaps? type alsamixer and check if PCM is not muted. Check with gnome-sound-properties.

OP
praka123

praka123

left this forum longback
thank you satish.but epiphany seems light and fast too here with Debian Sid.the visible area will be more if those toolbars etc disabled.Ubuntu does that by default.

As with sound,the problem got fixed as with firefox too,u need to invoke browser as when esd is enabled:
Code:
aoss  epiphany-browser
yes the accessibility.typeaheadfind.enablesound is already true.
I am thinking of adding below thing permanantly:
idea for fix:
source:
*ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=1060657&postcount=9

^ it solved that problem too.but i really miss the right side search bar with firefox.

Satissh S

Youngling
cool !! :) Hey are you Prakash ?? changed your id? nice to see you yaar !! Let our love for GNU grow beyond bounds !!

OP
praka123

praka123

left this forum longback
Satissh S said:
cool !! :) Hey are you Prakash ?? changed your id? nice to see you yaar !! Let our love for GNU grow beyond bounds !!
yes I am.Hope u'll be here more time;) we miss U

K-meleon? i've heard kazehakase but this one :?

OP
praka123

praka123

left this forum longback
yes.galeon is a nice browser.but now for me epiphany does the job better.it is not bloated anyway.

OP
praka123

praka123

left this forum longback
I found a thingy called smart bookmarks in Epiphany.it helps a lot.below is how to enable smart bookmarks:
*www.gnome.org/projects/epiphany/smartbookmarks.html

OP
praka123

praka123

left this forum longback
yeah.opera is a nice browser.I am using it for accessing dataone account site.but i prefer a GNOME based browser like Epiphany.GNOME offers both a simple(Epiphany) and customizable(Galeon) browsers.both rocks!
But still i misses iceweasel :( when will their major bugs @tleast be fixed(memory eating!i got only 256mb for now!),iceweasel got problems with web page rendering too.some sites looks horrible with iceweasel.yeah i know its not completely the problem of mozilla as many sites are still optimized/based on M$ internet exploder. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom