Huge performance boost... I think

Status
Not open for further replies.

nikkuchan

Broken In
I just got my new computer working, and while I'm very satisfied with the performance increase, I'm a little confused about some of the results of my comparisons.

My previous cpu was an Athlon 64 3400+ with a Radeon x1900gt and 1gig of ram. Honestly, it was fine. It took everything I threw at it except Crysis and playstation 2 emulation (ever since my ps2 died I really wanted to be able to play on an emulator). I upgraded to an Intel Core 2 Duo E8400. Currently I have 1 gig of ram but I'm waiting another stick to arrive. I continued to use the x1900gt while I waited for my Nvidia 9600gt to come.

So, at the moment the only thing different about my new system was the cpu. Same GPU, same 1 gig of ram, same hard drive (with a fresh windows install of course), so I wanted to play around while I waited for more parts to come. Crysis that ran barely playable on low on my old system ran smooth and problem free on medium settings, and playstation 2 emulation was full speed and playable. The system reported the cpu to stay steady at around 30 degrees (I guess it's true that intels run cooler than amds), so I was satisfied.

On to basic use. I was curious when the computer would start stalling and slowing down from my abuse of multi-tasking. Everything was running nicely until I decided to burn a dvd. The dvd burning was fine, mind you, but just restoring a minimized Firefox window during a dvd burn caused everything to pause for about 10 seconds. I assumed maybe the slowdown was also contributed to by 1 gig of ram and my anti-virus and windows updates running then too. I didn't really care, but I don't recall my old system ever getting like that unless it's been running straight for a few days.

Also, there seemed to be almost no difference in 3dmark06 performance between the two systems (the cpu test with all the tanks still ran at a piddly 1-2fps). Hopefully I can break 10000 with my 9600gt I just got.

There were emmense differences in some areas where the E8400 outperformed my 3400+ three times over, but there were some areas where there seemed to be no difference at all. I'm not disappointed at all. I'm glad to have this system, but just a little surprised. I got more then I hoped for in the areas I wanted to improve, but got less then I expected other areas (though they were areas I wasn't concerned about so I didn't care).

Now that I'm finished I wonder why I wrote this. It's long and nobody's going to want to read it, but at least it killed some time at work (When I writing in English nobody asked questions because nobody can read it :) )

axxo

99.9% Idle
I wonder above post is by human or spam bot....always think that thinkdigit is Indian forum..not?

acewin

Point Blanc
dude digit magazine is Indian, anything one internet can be Indian only if the site says, I do not see its written all over our boards, and moreover its more of a troubleshooting site for us. and most of us being Indian give our own Indian solution in terms of money but, in contrary I think we can take any issues related to comps from anywhere what say axxo.

@niku
anything works properly better only if it utilizes the proccy well.
its not for softwares which are just made disregarding what procy which we use like Nero or any disc burning software. I see his difference when I burn a DVD on my lappy to 8x speed burner. What and how. If I touch anything and do any work while burning is going on it will give "no seek complete" that is a crap

axxo

99.9% Idle
dude digit magazine is Indian, anything one internet can be Indian only if the site says, I do not see its written all over our boards, and moreover its more of a troubleshooting site for us. and most of us being Indian give our own Indian solution in terms of money but, in contrary I think we can take any issues related to comps from anywhere what say axxo.

its just a surprise for me to see a post from non-ind the reason y i expressed in that fashion. .i will be glad if i see posts like that on a regular basis..but I still have doubt in myself whether he will come and reply for the thread he started:)

acewin

Point Blanc
alot much, I too was surprised by niku's location set as Japan.

I do not know anyone else outside India or not an Indian here on the boards.

dheeraj_kumar

Legen-wait for it-dary!
^^ IslandDog is from WinCustomize. He advertises his products like WindowBlinds in a way that I dont think anyone has reported him yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom