HTPC / Moderate Gaming system

dotrad

Broken In
1. What is the purpose of the computer? What all applications and games are you going to run? (Stupid answers like 'gaming' or 'office work' will not work. Be exact. Which games? Which applications? Avoid the word 'et cetera.')
Ans: Primarily gaming (NFS, FIFA, Batman-arkham, metro etc...) and watching movies

2. What is your overall budget? If you can extend a bit for a more balanced configuration, then mention this too.
Ans: around 50-k

3. Planning to overclock?
Ans: Not at the moment, probably sometime in the future

4. Which Operating System are you planning to use?
Ans: windows 7 64bit

5. How much hard drive space is needed?
Ans: 1 TB

6. Do you want to buy a monitor? If yes, please mention which screen size and resolution do you want. If you already have a monitor and want to reuse it, again mention the size and resolution of monitor you have.
Ans: Yes, thinking of buying 24 inch LED monitor, looking at all options

7. Which components you DON'T want to buy or which components you already have and plan on reusing?
Ans: Need to buy all components

8. When are you planning to buy the system?
Ans: January

9. Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler?
Ans: I haven't but am willing to give it a shot. Are there things i need to be look out for when assembling (advise needed from folks who have assembled their systems)

10. Where do you live? Are you buying locally? Are you open to buying stuff from online shops if you don't get locally?
Ans: Locally

11. Anything else which you would like to say?
Ans: This is the config i had in mind, any comments would be very useful

Processor Intel Core i7 3770s
Motherboard Intel DH77DF
RAM 2x4 GB DDR3 Corsair
HDD WD 1 TB
SMPS Corsair GS600
Cabinet Cooler Master Elite 311
Monitor 24" BenQ

will probably get a dedicated graphics card later.

Thanks !

The Incinerator

Human Spambot
Intel Core i5 3470 - Rs 11000
Gigabyte GA-H77M-D3H - Rs 5500
Gskill Ripjaws 4GB - Rs 1600
GPU - MSI HD 7850 - Rs 12700 ( Since "moderate" gaming is mentioned)
HDD - Seagate 1TB - Rs 4300
SMPS - Corsair CX500V2 - Rs 3450
Cabinet - NZXT Beta EVO - Rs 2600
OPD - Samsung SH-S 223F - Rs 975
Monitor - Dell ST2240L - Rs 8900
KB /Mouse - Rs 450

Total - Rs 51,475.

A GPU is necessary since you want to game on a 24 inch and with some taxing titles.

OP
D

dotrad

Broken In
Thanks Incinerator,

the reason i had mentioned i7 in my post was that i am getting the proc + mobo + ssd as a combo through a friend ~ 20k ... i need to figure out what else i need to get keeping in mind that i'll probably get a GPU in the next couple of months

Processor Intel Core i7 3770s
Motherboard Intel DH77DF
RAM 2x4 GB DDR3 Corsair
HDD 1 TB
SMPS Corsair GS600
Cabinet Cooler Master Elite 311
Monitor 22"/ 23"/ 24" LED (depending on how much i've left in my budget)

CarlonSamuels

Journeyman
Intel Core i5 3570k 13,962/-
ASRock z77 Pro4 motherboard 8640/-
Corsair Vengeance Low Profile 8 GB 2548/-
WD Caviar Green 1 TB 4279/-
Corsair CX 500 3276/-
CM Elite 311 Rs.2500?
Monitor BenQ GL2450HM 12000~

Total 47000~

Since you want to add a GPU later or go with incinerators config
HOwever you cant OC with 3770s or 3470

Cilus

laborare est orare
dotrad, are you getting the i7 3770 + Intel DH77DF + SSD from a friend at 20K? Please confirm 1st.

OP
D

dotrad

Broken In
Yep, i am getting the i7 3770 + Intel DH77DF + SSD combo thru a friend ... so that leaves with another ~20k for the other parts. (will be getting the GPU after march probably)

I am not going to overclock this system, once i get my hands dirty on this one will look to do that on my next buy

somebodysme

Journeyman
i7 3770 + Intel DH77DF + SSD ~20
G.Skill RipjawsX(1600MHz)(F3-12800CL9S) 4GB x 2 3
WD Caviar Blue 500GB 3.3
Corsair GS60 4.5
Benq 24 inch G2420HDB LCD Monitors 10
NZXT source 210 elite 2.7
Asus DRW 24B5ST 1
Mouse&KB Logitech MK200 0.7

Here you go Total ~45k
If you are planning to buy video card in march, then you can start saving cash for video card..

anirbandd

Conversation Architect
@ Cilius and Incinerator: how do you guys manage to stay so much updated on the h/w prices?

Cilus

laborare est orare
By opening our eyes all the time.

And anirbandd, it is CILUS, not CILIUS. I don't need the extra I.

OP
D

dotrad

Broken In
Gentlemen, i've got the processor & motherboard today, planning to build the rig in the coming week ... desperately need your help in deciding about the other parts. This is the config i have come up with, any help on how i can optimize cost will be much appreciated. Outside of the proc+mobo+ssd , i have maybe another 20k to spend

1 Processor Intel Core i7 3770s
2 Motherboard Intel DH77DF
3 SSD 180GB

4 RAM G.Skill RipjawsX(1600MHz)(F3-12800CL9S) - 3.5k
5 HDD WD 500 GB - 3.5k
6 PSU Corsair CX600 - 4k
7 Cabinet Cooler Master Elite 311 - 2k
8 Monitor 20"-22" - 6k
9 DVD writer - 1k
10 Keyboard+ mouse - 1k

Also, any inputs on where i can get these parts on the cheap in bangalore will be very helpful, the prices quoted are from flipkart.

Cilus

laborare est orare
Advantages of 210 Elite:

1. Better Build quality
2. Higher Inside space, will help you accommodate big Gfx card or CPU cooler.
3. Very good Cable management, comparable to some 4K+ Cabinet.
4. Option for more number of Fans to provide better cooling
5. Very good Air flow design.

OP
D

dotrad

Broken In
Got it , any suggestions for a 20" monitor in the 6k range. will be using it quite a bit for gaming and probably would need an hdmi slot as well. Thanks :)

OP
D

dotrad

Broken In
Thanks Anirban, my confusion right now is about what size monitor to get. is there any advantage of in getting a 24" monitor for gaming over a 20" . How has your experience been with your monitor so far.

22" is the least you should get, the advantage of a bigger monitor is of course more real estate but it would be more beneficial in other applications like word, PS, and any software with lots of tools here and there than in games. If the price difference is > 3~4 k, I would avoid it.

anirbandd

Conversation Architect
gaming on 24" would be badass.. but you would need to sit quite a distance away from the monitor.. but 24" monitors, as Harshil has said, is much more usefull when using apps like PS etc..

Top Bottom