HTC One S abandoned, won’t receive any further software updates

LegendKiller

In the zone
HTC has announced in a press statement that there will be no further Android updates for the One S smartphone. This means that the One S users will only be restricted to Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean and will not be able to use HTC’s latest Sense 5 UI on their phone.
*mail.google.com/mail/u/0/images/cleardot.gif

The company has stated that, “We can confirm that the HTC One S will not receive further Android OS updates and will remain on the current version of Android and HTC Sense. We realize this news will be met with disappointment by some, but our customers should feel confident that we have designed the HTC One S to be optimized with our amazing camera and audio experiences.”
HTC had launched the One S last year and though HTC has earlier mentioned that the company will roll out the Sense 5 update to other phone, it now seems to have taken a U-turn. HTC’s Sense 5 was first seen on the HTC One and offered a new UI and features like BlinkFeed, Zoe, and more. However, the lack of support for the Sense 5 as well as the Android 4.2 Jelly Bean in HTC One S will be a disappointment for its owners who were expecting the update to land on their phones soon.

Courtesy : BGR.in

josin

In the zone
This is what you call "suicide". This was not expected from a company like Htc; if it was a company like carbon or micromax i could have forgiven them. Its true that no owner of HTC one s can file a complaint u/s 420 of IPC against HTC; but HTC is surely putting one More nail in their coffin. From now own I hate HTC and I believe every sensible owner of an android phone will agree with me.

baccilus

Cyborg Agent
I have a HTC One V. The Custom ROM route is always available. But lately I have come to beleive that it makes more sense to buy from micromax or Xolo. The customer service of most of the big brands are no better than the Xolo and micromax. The HTC people took nearly a month to replace my handset when it developed problems. And it is twice the cost of the Indian brands.

Sony & Samsung are better. Even though it takes longer time, but Sony delivers the update atleast upto its mid range phones.......... Not all users visit xda & search for ROMs for their phones.....

My S2 will get the 4.2 update(last one from Samsung though) but still it was originally launched with 2.3. I think is going to be the first phone to get 3 official android upgrades

I have a HTC One V. The Custom ROM route is always available. But lately I have come to beleive that it makes more sense to buy from micromax or Xolo. The customer service of most of the big brands are no better than the Xolo and micromax. The HTC people took nearly a month to replace my handset when it developed problems. And it is twice the cost of the Indian brands.
Samsung & Nokia have much better after sales support. Actually people buy phones from these big companies because XOLO, MMX, LAVA, etc have more chance of giving problems......

RohanM

Cyborg Agent
HTC is not doing this for the first time, they did the same with Desire HD & never given ICS update to it. They sell their phone overpriced so ppl wont buy them, thus less consumer & no updates.

Last edited:

papul1993

not a newbie.....
Sony & Samsung are better. Even though it takes longer time, but Sony delivers the update atleast upto its mid range phones.......... Not all users visit xda & search for ROMs for their phones.....

My S2 will get the 4.2 update(last one from Samsung though) but still it was originally launched with 2.3. I think is going to be the first phone to get 3 official android upgrades

Samsung & Nokia have much better after sales support. Actually people buy phones from these big companies because XOLO, MMX, LAVA, etc have more chance of giving problems......

How many other phones has Samsung updated besides S2?

a_k_s_h_a_y

Dreaming
this news matters only for the 1%, the geeks, rest of 99% htc customers won't even know wtf jelly bean is..
not a downfall of htc like you geeks say..

samsung sells because of marketing and channels, not because of epic specs..its only partly coz of epic specs.

mohit9206

Ambassador of Buzz
This is where HTC is really behind everyone else. Not providing regular and timely updates hell not even providing updates at all. Its a shame that even 2 year old phones like Galaxy S2 receives JB but not one year old hi end phone like One S. I know many of you guys on thinkdigit hate samsung calling them names like Crapsung and what not but atleast they provide timely updates unlike Sony and HTC.

ZTR

Cyborg Agent
This is where HTC is really behind everyone else. Not providing regular and timely updates hell not even providing updates at all. Its a shame that even 2 year old phones like Galaxy S2 receives JB but not one year old hi end phone like One S. I know many of you guys on thinkdigit hate samsung calling them names like Crapsung and what not but atleast they provide timely updates unlike Sony and HTC.

AFAIK even Sony provides regular updates and all of the 2011 Xperia range has been updated to ICS :)

So its just HTC :p

gameranand

Living to Play
this news matters only for the 1%, the geeks, rest of 99% htc customers won't even know wtf jelly bean is..
not a downfall of htc like you geeks say..

samsung sells because of marketing and channels, not because of epic specs..its only partly coz of epic specs.

Small things matters a lot when you see it globally.

OP
LegendKiller

LegendKiller

In the zone
@akshay : buddy updates don't necessarily mean zero when you buy a phone for 24.5 k and for me it's quite a investment in a mobile phone and if everyone was thinking like you galaxy s2 would have been trumping the sales of s4.

Top Bottom