Ht and win 98 dont match ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

vandit

In the zone
Recently my uncle bought a new computer with P-4 prescott..
My vendor said that it was better to buy prescott than p4 HT with 1MB L2 cache as running win 98 would be a problem in HT.. As I wanted to run both 98 and XP, I decided to go for prescott...
altough the performance of the prescott is top class, I would like to ask whether my computerwallah is a trickster? :?:

mohit

The Hardware Labs
win 98 is not optimized for the use of ht ... and win xp is , and dats y u will benefit from ht in win xp ... but there are not going to be any issues using a ht processor on win 98 .. ur comp wallah is stupid.

Nemesis

Wise Old Owl
Don't worry vandit. The Prescott also has HT so your computer-wallah needs some basic computer training :p

And like mohit said, there will be no problems in 98.

anomit

In the zone
mohit said:
win 98 is not optimized for the use of ht ...

Rather than saying it is not optimized, it is better to say it does not support HyperThreading.

One more thing. If the HT feature has not been enabled from the BIOS settings you need to enable it. Also if the Win XP has been installed before enabling it, you would need to reinstall it. Atleast I know so.

Even then, check the Task Manager in Win XP to see if it shows two CPUs under the Performance tab.

NikhilVerma

Padawan
vandit said:
Recently my uncle bought a new computer with P-4 prescott..
My vendor said that it was better to buy prescott than p4 HT with 1MB L2 cache as running win 98 would be a problem in HT.. As I wanted to run both 98 and XP, I decided to go for prescott...
altough the performance of the prescott is top class, I would like to ask whether my computerwallah is a trickster? :?:

I don't think you'll have any major problems with HT model

the only problem you will get is your HDD drivers will work in "DOS Mode".. So this means slow gaming....

I Keep Windows 98/ME for troubleshooting XP only

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom