HP laptop... Many Problems....

Status
Not open for further replies.

aditya.shevade

Console Junkie
Hi

I have an HP nx 6110, PC 416AV laptop.

I have bought that laptop last year on the 2nd of June.

Since then, I have had 3 HDD, 3 DVD drive and a Motherboard and a Bluetooth dongle replacement, under warranty.

I have one question. I know that some hardware is manufactured for some specific S/W or the other way round, a software being written for a specific H/W.

Now, under these conditions, if I am using Linux (OpenSuSE 10.2) on this laptop, which is designed for Windows XP, can the H/W get damaged due to that? Using a different OS? Or a different S/W for that matter?

What I think is that, at the most, the OS and S/W might cause the operations to fail or take time. But can they cause damage to the hardware? Is it even possible?

If it is then please explain. If it is not, the say so. I need this.

Please and thank you in advance.
Aditya Shevade

Pathik

Google Bot
aditya.shevade said:
I have one question. I know that some hardware is manufactured for some specific S/W or the other way round, a software being written for a specific H/W.

Now, under these conditions, if I am using Linux (OpenSuSE 10.2) on this laptop, which is designed for Windows XP, can the H/W get damaged due to that? Using a different OS? Or a different S/W for that matter?

What I think is that, at the most, the OS and S/W might cause the operations to fail or take time. But can they cause damage to the hardware? Is it even possible?

If it is then please explain. If it is not, the say so. I need this.

Please and thank you in advance.
Aditya Shevade
Nope dude not at all... It can cause no harm to the hardware..
At the most the OS may not function properly and you may need to update the hardware drivers... But NO DAMAGE..

OP
aditya.shevade

aditya.shevade

Console Junkie
That is what I think. But I have an experience of the people at the 24X7 chatting saying that the reason of the problems is due to different OS.

I dunno how am I going to explain it to them that S/W does not affect this.....

chesss

mera kutch nahi ho sakta
In my laptop if I connect a serial-usb adapter while xp is running, the PC hangs and needs a CMOS reset. While it works as expected with vista. I have tried this multiple times and can guarantee this is happening. Other users have aso had their bios crap out when using xp

Infact my laptops's fimware page states
"please use this bios(the one installed) with windows vista. Do not use any other OS with this bios."

That said i do use xp all the time and I don't think there can be permanent 'damage' to components like hdd, cdrom.

Did your hdd get damaged while doing a standby or attaching a usb device?

OP
aditya.shevade

aditya.shevade

Console Junkie
^^ Nope. It was not damaged during standby or USB device attachment or removal. There were 3 replacements. Only 1 HDD and one DVD writer replacements have been there since I started using Linux this Jan.

Before that, 2 HDD, 2 DVD rw and 1 motherboard and bluetooth dongle replacements have been there when I was using the preloaded OS, Win XP pro.... So, HP has got that to answer to as well..... I am frustrated.....

Aditya

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
software doesnt affect hardware as long as u dont use something like rivatuner and tune ur gfx card to levels it cant handle ..... its nt coz of the software maybe not sure but may be the power source ur using is faulty ...

narangz

Web developer
check your supply adapter & also check if the laptop overheats. this might be the reason behind all this.

also you can demand a brand new laptop from hp care if you continue to face these problems

Last edited:
OP
aditya.shevade

aditya.shevade

Console Junkie
^^ That is what this is all about. I am building up my case against them. (Not in court :-D).... I have bought this from a friend of my father. He has spoken with the HP authorities of India about piece replacement. I am hoping for the best. But chances are close to NULL. (nil)

The laptop does overheat. And, the people at the service center have checked adapter and the battery. No problems were found.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom