HP Laptop hangs if left idle

Status
Not open for further replies.

ajit456

Broken In
i bought a new HP 6910tx laptop just few months back. Initially had no problems. Always ill put some downloads and leave my laptop idle during nights........For the past few weeks, my laptop gets hanged if left idle.....Now it has become too frequent, that it hangs in 30 mins idle time.....And after 10 mins idle time it takes 5 mins to come into active mode........i have tried changing the time to 500 mins before laptop goes into sleep mode....and also changed to "do nothing" when lid is closed....even after this changes, it occurs.......Someone plz help me?.......nyone else having the same problem with HP?.....i read in PCworld its HPs defect.....but no soln....SO guys help me....

GO through this link.......
*www.pcworld.com/article/116773/hp_stands_alone_with_memory_flaw.html

Plz help me....

realdan

Ambassador of Buzz
that link was in 2004..would that apply to your new laptop?

you could try going to power option in control panel and turn off all power saying options..and also disable hibernate if it is enable

then report back what happen..

ThinkFree

Technomancer
Using Windows?

TaskManager opens when it hangs or not? If it opens, see if any process is utilising 100 % of CPU .

pramodv1988

Broken In
This sort of thing used to happen with my friend's PC . It would hang only when kept idle.....more specifically when not using the mouse or keyboard. He tried many things....nothing worked. Reinstalled OS and its fine now. Give that a try in case nothing else works.

OP
A

ajit456

Broken In
First of all, thks for da reply guys
@realdan - i have switched off all power saving options disabled sleep hibernation and even screensaver,etc.....still it hangs....

@thinkfree - yea, only ctrl+alt+del button works after it hangs....only thing u can do is open task manager.....but i didnt c the running processes.....ill giv that a try.......

@pramodv1988 - exactly da same problem here too ....reinstalling OS is a pain ...in HP laptop u cant partition the hard in d away u want.....my 320gb HDD is just havin 2 drives..... once with OS and all stuff... and other 20gb drive for backup&recovery....So if i hav to format and reinstall, i hav to write all my datas (its arnd 150Gb) in dvds and then copy everythin again back.........is der ny other way to come out of this problem.......

TEMPORARY SOLN: if im running some programs like media player or winamp (mutin the sound), it doesnt hang....but as i mentioned its just a temporary soln.....i want to get rid of the prob permanently.....SO please help me

ThinkFree

Technomancer
^^Find the process which is making ur pc hang or else reinstall the OS. No other option seems to be there.

Tried safe mode? Does the problem appear here as well?

OP
A

ajit456

Broken In
SAFE mode.......can i do that?.....can i keep my computer in safe mode waiting for it to hang?......wont it damages any windows files if it HANGS?.....at first, ill try to check the running processes.......

ThinkFree

Technomancer
^^Just see if the problem is there in safe mode. If not, it means any software/service might be causing it to hang. It won't harm your OS

j_h

Banned
i bought a new HP 6910tx laptop just few months back. Initially had no problems. Always ill put some downloads and leave my laptop idle during nights........For the past few weeks, my laptop gets hanged if left idle.....Now it has become too frequent, that it hangs in 30 mins idle time.....And after 10 mins idle time it takes 5 mins to come into active mode........i have tried changing the time to 500 mins before laptop goes into sleep mode....and also changed to "do nothing" when lid is closed....even after this changes, it occurs.......Someone plz help me?.......nyone else having the same problem with HP?.....i read in PCworld its HPs defect.....but no soln....SO guys help me....

GO through this link.......
*www.pcworld.com/article/116773/hp_stands_alone_with_memory_flaw.html

Plz help me....
Do a bios update. I too have a HP laptop and its bios updating is extremely easy. You can do it straight from XP itself. Download the bios update exe from the hp website and see what happens.
The software/driver download link for your model is here.*h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/produc...s&dlc=en&submit.y=11&submit.x=9&lang=en&cc=us

Last edited:
OP
A

ajit456

Broken In
Guys i found da problem......Its due to skype......it all started only after installing skype....i just started uninstalling the softwares from the period this problem startd......then when i uninstalled skype, my lappy became normal again.....But i cant understand da reason.......is skype not compatible with vista?.....nyway im happy now....thks guys for the help....

@ j_h - ill do that one ......infact i hav install all the updates available der........thks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom