HP G002AX / G009AX Laptop [Honest review, Benchmarks] [AMD Beema A8 6140, 4GB, 1TB, 2GB 8570m]

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
Re: HP G002AX / G009AX Laptop [Honest review, Bench, Gaming] [AMD Beema A8 6140, 4GB, 1TB, 2GB 8570m

BTW have you tried out any Linux distro ?

My laptop(2005AX) is PITA when it comes to Linux
Shouldn't be anymore. Ubuntu 14.04 and later would work flawless as open source drivers have power management with AMD GPUs now.

OP
B

bhvm

Journeyman
**LONG TERM UPDATE**

I am pleased to present a long term update about the machine. This has been my primary machine till date and has been chock full of Apps, Data and Games. Infact, Only 40 GB is free out of 1TB.
There are no complaints regarding this machine and has never failed or Hung. Battery life still holds up at 4~5 hours. Most of the new games are working very well. There is no heating or any other problem.

**WINDOWS 7 INSTALL**
I could not stand the Stupid windows 8.1 So I ended up gathering the guts, Transferred 860GB+ Data to external, and BOOM! Formatted the machine!
The HDD was formatted as GPT so I had to format the whole disc Including recovery partition, System partition and Data areas. However Windows 7 install was smooth (40 Mins).

The Windows already installed Drivers for-
AUDIO
Wired LAN
Chipset
Kayboard and Touchpad

You can easily Download and Install drivers for-
AMD Graphics (Also installs USB 3.0 and card reader Driver automatically)
The Windows Aero and Brightness controlls start working after AMD graphics driver only.
For the webcam you need YOUCAM app installed.

Problem driver-
I had to spend 4~5 hours researching about the WIFI driver. All the Drivers on HP site and also the ones on laptop are Win 8.1.
I found this kind site which has Atheros WIFI driver-
Wireless LAN_Atheros_10.0.0.55_W7x64_A.zip | DriverZone

Make sure your device ID is-
PCI\ven_168C&DEV_0036 SUBSYS 217F103C&REV

And There you have it, Stunning windows 7 on this stunning laptop! All functions working just like win 8 , but just faster and better!

OP
B

bhvm

Journeyman
your laptop hold up pretty well after all this time.

Thats nothing new bro.
I have 8 year old laptops doing duty on my office. When my machine gets too old for its job, I always re-pourpose it for a lighter load and it runs along happily.

At office I have an old single core laptop with centrino CPU, 1 GB DDR1 Ram, 80GB HDD and so on. Runs accounts very well.

$hadow

Geek in making
Thats nothing new bro.
I have 8 year old laptops doing duty on my office. When my machine gets too old for its job, I always re-pourpose it for a lighter load and it runs along happily.

At office I have an old single core laptop with centrino CPU, 1 GB DDR1 Ram, 80GB HDD and so on. Runs accounts very well.

Yeah for day to day activities even a properly kept hardware will suffice.

OP
B

bhvm

Journeyman
**LONG TERM UPDATE**

The laptop has been removed from Primary Duty.
All Systems are holding up well other than the cooling. The laptop is 100% on a cooling stand (140mm Fans) Yet here is the problem>

Gaming on Onboard R5 Radeon GPU is about 15 Mins. Machine Restarts at 75.C
Gaming on Dedicated 8570m is about 40 Mins. Machine Restarts at 84.C

The CPU and GPU Temps (They are about the same) are touching Quite High.
But they were so since day 1. I am wondering why the Machine has begun Restarting when gaming now. There are NO hardware or software changes as such.
Perhaps the Indian summers are not helping (Ambient 29.C)

Any Ideas folks?

OP
B

bhvm

Journeyman
Spent a good afternoon tweaking, OCing and Benching the laptop. Cooling fans were NOT used. Machine was stable.
If A picture is worth 1000 Words, this one is worth a Million.

Very useful data for people with A8 6410 or 8570m or even similar Graphics.

P.s- Why is DIGIT forums reverting to Flipkart time and being!? This is annoying beyond means!

Attachments

• New Bitmap Image.jpg
    New Bitmap Image.jpg
    197.1 KB · Views: 248
OP
B

bhvm

Journeyman
The Lack of replies is not very encouraging, however I will still update if someone is reading.

The Onboard R5 Graphics is deemed faulty. The Machine Restarts in 15~20 Mins regardless of- Temps, Battery, Fans, Cooling , Game, Drivers or ANYTHING. It appears some Firmware or Hardware Bug in R5 Graphics. That's a sad thing as it was a strong GPU yet kept cool when gaming.

I have now set the AMD Power play to compulsorily use the dGPU, No questions asked.

Now, Other Most Important thing i've done is OC'd the dGPU 8570m to 722/1000 Mhz compared to 650/900mhz stock.
And UNDERCLOCKED the A8 CPU to 1.8 Ghz max from stock 2.0~2.4 ghz. This was done by setting "Maximum Processor state to 85%". What it apparently does it Turn off Turbo and skip the topmost 1 or 2 CPU multipliers, Making max speeds 1.6~1.8 Ghz.

Here comes the good part, Performance in Gaming is Similar or even Improved due to 8570m OC, But most importantly, System temps went down by a large Margin.
The Laptop that used to restart at 75~80.c can now game at 61~66.c ALL DAY. The Laptop is now being used in LAN gaming and is ROCK STABLE as ever.

I can conclude that laptop temps are largely dependent on CPU turbo, but game Performance is all dependent on GPU clocks. The Way I have set things now is a properly Win-Win Combo.

ankitj1611

Journeyman
I have a HP Pavilion G6 2010ax...I play games by settings power settings of games to Highest performance.

How can i compulsorily use the dGPU?Same setting which i have mentioned or any other?
My CPU is A8 4500m and its 1.9-2.8Ghz but i havent seen it going above 2.31Ghz in any game

adityagupta

Broken In
Re: HP G002AX / G009AX Laptop [Honest review, Bench, Gaming] [AMD Beema A8 6140, 4GB, 1TB, 2GB 8570m

Amazing review.
But all u get from a hp laptop with amd gpu is a fried motherboard.
It won't last long.

Edit: oops that's a wayyy old review

OP
B

bhvm

Journeyman

I have a HP Pavilion G6 2010ax...I play games by settings power settings of games to Highest performance.

How can i compulsorily use the dGPU?Same setting which i have mentioned or any other?
My CPU is A8 4500m and its 1.9-2.8Ghz but i havent seen it going above 2.31Ghz in any game

Right Click on desktop- AMD Catalyst Control center> ATI Power play > Maximize performance.
You should also click battery option>More power Options>Additional Plans>High Performance.

The CPU will not touch Full speed unless its very cool and There is no Graphics load. Because GPU & CPU usually share same Heatsink/fan in Laptops.
The battery life will be reduced though.
Amazing review.
It won't last long.

Edit: oops that's a wayyy old review

Its not just a review. Its more like ownership thread. A long term one.

We just had many people LAN party playing Serious sam 2. Massive fun.
One of the machines was an old AMD x2 3600+ Running onboard Geforce 6100 MCP (2 shaders). Now how cool is that!.
Other was my Acer 5560 (You can find review on this forums)

ankitj1611

Journeyman

Amazing review.
It won't last long.

is it true?please dont scare me.i dont want to loose my laptop :drool_NF:

OP
B

bhvm

Journeyman
updated the bios to f35 from f12. no change at all. onboard r5 is still faulty and works Max 5 mins. no changes to report

kokroo

Right off the assembly line
The Lack of replies is not very encouraging, however I will still update if someone is reading.

The Onboard R5 Graphics is deemed faulty. The Machine Restarts in 15~20 Mins regardless of- Temps, Battery, Fans, Cooling , Game, Drivers or ANYTHING. It appears some Firmware or Hardware Bug in R5 Graphics. That's a sad thing as it was a strong GPU yet kept cool when gaming.

I have now set the AMD Power play to compulsorily use the dGPU, No questions asked.

Now, Other Most Important thing i've done is OC'd the dGPU 8570m to 722/1000 Mhz compared to 650/900mhz stock.
And UNDERCLOCKED the A8 CPU to 1.8 Ghz max from stock 2.0~2.4 ghz. This was done by setting "Maximum Processor state to 85%". What it apparently does it Turn off Turbo and skip the topmost 1 or 2 CPU multipliers, Making max speeds 1.6~1.8 Ghz.

Here comes the good part, Performance in Gaming is Similar or even Improved due to 8570m OC, But most importantly, System temps went down by a large Margin.
The Laptop that used to restart at 75~80.c can now game at 61~66.c ALL DAY. The Laptop is now being used in LAN gaming and is ROCK STABLE as ever.

I can conclude that laptop temps are largely dependent on CPU turbo, but game Performance is all dependent on GPU clocks. The Way I have set things now is a properly Win-Win Combo.

Can you tell me how you overclocked the GPU? I haven't found any software yet which was able to overclock it on g009ax laptop. Thanks!

anirbandd

Conversation Architect
<Rant>

I like single ownership threads like these, where the owner extract every last bit of juice out the hardware for gaming at a mere 25-30fps. Reminds me of myself when I had 256MB RAM, 40GB HDD and an Intel P4 with HT.
Nowadays everywhere I see, I see people buying new hardware just for staying ahead of the FPS race. that too because the peak FPS dropped from 60 to 50-55 in newer games.

</Rant>

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
^^ You are not alone. I extracted juice out of my P4 machine for 7 years, before I decided to dump the core in the bed of molten lava.
And I think my new PC with HD 4600 graphics suffice for me to play Rocket League at 40 fps... without needing a gfx. :p

I do am planning to buy a dGPU tho. >_>

OP
B

bhvm

Journeyman
^^ You are not alone. I extracted juice out of my P4 machine for 7 years, before I decided to dump the core in the bed of molten lava.
And I think my new PC with HD 4600 graphics suffice for me to play Rocket League at 40 fps... without needing a gfx. :p

I do am planning to buy a dGPU tho. >_>

<Rant>

I like single ownership threads like these, where the owner extract every last bit of juice out the hardware for gaming at a mere 25-30fps. Reminds me of myself when I had 256MB RAM, 40GB HDD and an Intel P4 with HT.
Nowadays everywhere I see, I see people buying new hardware just for staying ahead of the FPS race. that too because the peak FPS dropped from 60 to 50-55 in newer games.

</Rant>

Thanks for the word fellas.

<Rant>
I really miss the golden age of computing (around 90s), Where Overclocking was limited to Pure Geeks. It was physically involving. You had to swap out a few resistances (VR zone /Guru 3D guides?) or mess with jumpers. Then you'd flash the Firmware/ BIOS of a higher end card to make everything work well (Nibitor/ NVflash?). Who can forget the joys for Turning a Plane jane Nvidia 6800 AGP into 6800GT or 6800 Ultra by unlocking extra pipelines/Vertex shaders?

OC is not the same today, Where anyone can OC by setting a few ticks in Software/Driver. Without understanding the true purpose of how a machine works.

</Rant>

I used AMD X2 3800 manchester for good 7 years before the CPU & Board kicked the bucket. The graphics card was 9800GT. Its kid brother, AMD X2 3600+ is still working now- TODAY. I've shifted it to Data entry duty on my office. I am still using the same 80GB Seagate HDD.

These old workhorses Had the quality & reliability which is unheard of today.

anirbandd

Conversation Architect
Thanks for the word fellas.

<Rant>
I really miss the golden age of computing (around 90s), Where Overclocking was limited to Pure Geeks. It was physically involving. You had to swap out a few resistances (VR zone /Guru 3D guides?) or mess with jumpers. Then you'd flash the Firmware/ BIOS of a higher end card to make everything work well (Nibitor/ NVflash?). Who can forget the joys for Turning a Plane jane Nvidia 6800 AGP into 6800GT or 6800 Ultra by unlocking extra pipelines/Vertex shaders?

OC is not the same today, Where anyone can OC by setting a few ticks in Software/Driver. Without understanding the true purpose of how a machine works.

</Rant>

I used AMD X2 3800 manchester for good 7 years before the CPU & Board kicked the bucket. The graphics card was 9800GT. Its kid brother, AMD X2 3600+ is still working now- TODAY. I've shifted it to Data entry duty on my office. I am still using the same 80GB Seagate HDD.

These old workhorses Had the quality & reliability which is unheard of today.

well said and truthfully so.

Top Bottom