Howto : Bypass AGP graphics card problem with newer linux distros

Status
Not open for further replies.

debsuvra

is NOT a PC/Mac
Today's each and every linux kernel comes with a module named agpgart that identifies and enable one's AGP graphics card in these distros. But many users including me has some issues with some AGP cards as the AGPGART did not detect the amount of onboard dedicated RAM on these graphic cards and results a KERNEL PANIC.

For those who are having such problems, I make a solution that could be able to get AGP working again on linux distros.

Anyone having the cards have to install and boot into linux using integrated video chips. Once installed, u have to first blacklist the AGPGART module to sync with Kernel. For example, in Ubuntu, go to

Code:
nano /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist

and in the last line of the file add

Code:
blacklist agpgart

Then add ur onboard agp by adding

Code:
blacklist manufacture_agp

Insert ur mainboard's video chip manufacturer's name such as

Code:
blacklist intel_agp

Save the file.

Install envy from *albertomilone.com/nvidia_scripts1.html for installing nVidia or Ati video drivers.

After successful installing envy will ask whether it would modify the xorg.conf file.

Restart, and switch to the AGP card instead of onboard card from your BIOS. Log on into Linux. It should be running with the AGP card now.

praka123

left this forum longback
hmm..theoretically the module does not load if u put in blacklist file.but sometimes,for eg,in my case where i uses a XFX nvidia 7300GT pcie-x16 in a intel mobo with integrated graphics,the intel_agp loads each time after disabling it in bios too in ubuntu and debian.the dirty hack i used was to make a file -/etc/modprobe.d/00local with entry as
Code:
install intel_agp /bin/true
to forcefully prevent loading of that module.ofcourse the best way is to remove the unwanted module from /lib/modules/`uname -r`/modules/ :D but if any time the linux-image is updated,the module will be made again.so above trick works!solving atm.

OP
debsuvra

debsuvra

is NOT a PC/Mac
I think that PCI-e does not hold a problem for these distros as they do not use the AGPGART module. And in my case blacklisting did all the job, so nothing else were required, but in ur case, things gone different :confused:

praka123

left this forum longback
yes.i am using a 915GV board.still intel onboard is detected and i have tried the trick explained to force prevent module loading.

Pathik

Google Bot
@Debsuvra what error did u get when u tried to install ur agp? a Out of frequency error or some other one?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom