How trustworthy Amazon.com really is? Post your purchase experience from Amazon.com.

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
(I was not sure, in which section does discussion over an online shopping site should be done, so I have done that in Everything else.)

Please share your views and experience from your online shopping, especially if you have been a customer of Amazon.
Since I wanted to do some shopping from Amazon, and it would be great to have some hands on views on the same. I am trying to find out how reliable their products are, and after sales service etc.

vamsi_krishna

Human Spambot
Re: How turstworthy Amazon.com really is? Post your purchase experience from Amazon.c

Moved the thread to Internet & Networking-> Online services.

And.. Yes, Amazon.com is trust worthy. I never did shopping on it, but many of my friends did. About the impressions, Wait till other members get into discussion.

OP
Vyom

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Re: How turstworthy Amazon.com really is? Post your purchase experience from Amazon.c

Hmmm... looking at the responses for other threads in this sub-forum of Gamers and Internet, I think, you hav buried this thread really deep :-D

But anyways, will wait for responses :|

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends

Its a good service. You will receive your things if you give all your info correctly.

Don't worry, its a reputated site.

Offtopic-
Please rename the thread 'how TRUSTWORTHY

OP
Vyom

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin

^^ damn... I really should see a doctor, about me making so much spelling mistakes these days :oops:

So far so good, but it would be nice to know the experience, of someone who Really have purchased stuff.
I think, some of the TDF's members must have done! :chinscratch:

vamsi_krishna

Human Spambot
Re: How trustworthy Amazon.com really is? Post your purchase experience from Amazon.c

Look at the bright side. As long as your thread is in this forum, it will be on main index page. So, chances of visibility is high.

OT: Edited thread title.

pauldmps

Banned
Re: How trustworthy Amazon.com really is? Post your purchase experience from Amazon.c

Do they ship to India ?

OP
Vyom

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin

Yeah.. they do... in fact, they ship all over the world!
Amazon.com Help: International Shipping

BUT, after reading above page, now I am speculating on various factors for ordering online, like, warranty, Returns & Replacements, Customs, Duties, and Taxes blah blah!

Dont know abt these things much, or how much extra would I have to pay apart from the prices of the commodities!

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends

I think you may face a few hassles while claiming warranty.

pauldmps

Banned

I don't think that they ship everything outside US.

Only items listed here are available for international shipping: Amazon.com: International Shipping

Also, for example, a laptop which costs 50k here costs about 35k in the US. Will I get the laptop ordered from Amazon at 35k in India ? I think the customs duties & other taxes will add up to more than 50k.

OP
Vyom

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin

^ Yeah! I think thats one point of concern. The other being warranty claims.
I think, its better not to purchase a single expensive item, but rather many small items. And further more, I think its good for non-electrical items only :(

pauldmps

Banned

So not much use for me then. I'll be glad if anyone can post his\her purchasing experiences from Amazon here.

OP
Vyom

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin

^^ Well, so far I am also looking for the same. But still no replies.... . ... Oh wait.. ... ...
... nopes, no reply till now :(

OP
Vyom

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin

Anyone ??

pauldmps

Banned

Okay so I did some research myself. This is what I found:-

1. If the item costs less than about 5-7k, no custom duty would be charged.

2. If the item costs about 10k, customs duty will be charged unless it is sent as a gift. In such case there should be no receipt of purchase in the package (as it is a gift). Sometimes, sellers use this method to evade taxes.

3. If the item is expensive, then customs will be levied at the rate of about 20% after revaluation of the product in India. For example, if a laptop costs 35k in US & 50k in India, then the customs will revaluate the laptop to its Indian price & then add 20% tax. So importing the laptop from the US will mean 50k +20% of 50k = 60k which ultimately sets you back more than what you'll pay if you bought it in India.

So no expensive products from outside should be bought unless someone is bringing it in-person.

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member

Yeah, amazon.com is not a feasible solution. Why can't they start amazon.in ??

pauldmps

Banned

Because they don't need to put too much hassle to ship products outside US. Someting like what Apple does with its devices.

We too are getting some great national shopping sites like Filpkart, Infibeam & FutureBazaar. So I think we should stick to them.

OP
Vyom

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin

1. If the item costs less than about 5-7k, no custom duty would be charged.

Hooray!! :razz:

2. If the item costs about 10k, customs duty will be charged unless it is sent as a gift. In such case there should be no receipt of purchase in the package (as it is a gift). Sometimes, sellers use this method to evade taxes.

So can I use the same method and send myself a gift to evade duties?

Yeah, amazon.com is not a feasible solution. Why can't they start amazon.in ??

Well, I dont think amazon.in is occupied! Someone wants to book it :smile:

pauldmps

Banned

^^ Disclaimer: The above prices/rates are only for giving a general idea. Those are not the exact rates. Check the Indian customs website for exact rates under which duties are not levied.

You can send yourself a gift but you'll lose the receipt of purchase which is a required document during warranty claim.

OP
Vyom

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin

^^ Whoa!!! In that case, I don't care about the duties! :shock: LOL
Warranty is the surest thing which I want.

Thanks for the heads up pauldmps :)

Top Bottom