How to upgrade Kubuntu 7.04 to 7.10 ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

skghosh44

dig_boy_dig,dig !
I wish to upgrade my OS from Kubuntu 7.04 to Kubuntu 7.10. But I am in confusion which one I have to download Kubuntu 7.10 RC or Kubuntu 7.10 beta.

Is it possible to upgrade my exhisting Kubuntu 7.04 with Kubuntu 7.10 without uninstall/format the existing one or I have to do fresh installation ?
Please clear my doubt.

Last edited:

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
Follow this:
*kubuntu.org/~jriddell/kubuntu-upgrade/

Step-wise in text:
1. Launch Adept Manager: KMenu -> System -> Adept Manager
2. In Adept -> Manage Repositories enable "Recommended updates" and "Pre-release", close and reload
3. Click Fetch Updates
4. Click Full Upgrade
5. Click Apply Changes and wait for the updates to install
6. Close Adept Manager
7. Press Alt+F2, or select KMenu -> Run Command to run a command.
8. Run the following command (the quotes are important):
Code:
kdesu "adept_manager --version-upgrade"
9. Click Version Upgrade
10. Follow the on-screen instructions
Steps sourced from: *help.ubuntu.com/community/GutsyUpgrades

OP
skghosh44

skghosh44

dig_boy_dig,dig !
QwertyManiac said:
Follow this:
*kubuntu.org/~jriddell/kubuntu-upgrade/

Step-wise in text:

Steps sourced from: *help.ubuntu.com/community/GutsyUpgrades

While i tried this steps it starts downloading about 695 mb for upgrade. Hence I discontinue the download. The Full Distro is I think 678 MB. I think there is another step to upgrade i.e "upgrade through alternate CD". Now how to make this alternate CD. Becaue alternate CD will be better for future use also.

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
You have to download the Alternate CD via the Repositories of Gutsy.

But when Gutsy Kubuntu is just 3 more days away, why take the pain of downloading a Release Canditate Alternate CD ?

OP
skghosh44

skghosh44

dig_boy_dig,dig !
QwertyManiac said:
You have to download the Alternate CD via the Repositories of Gutsy.

But when Gutsy Kubuntu is just 3 more days away, why take the pain of downloading a Release Canditate Alternate CD ?
Yestarday I thought so and cancelled downloading. After final release on 18/10/2007 I will download the stable version. But is there will be any option to upgrade or I have to reinstall again.

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
Yes you do get an option to Upgrade using the Alternate Install CD and it works fine too but the recommended way (To be safe) is to re-install.

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
Yes there is! You need to get the Alternate CD, add it to the repositories and select Upgrade. That's what I've been telling all along now. There is an Upgrade option available definitely!

OP
skghosh44

skghosh44

dig_boy_dig,dig !
Than I have to download two file one for alternate CD (695MB) creation and other for normal distro (678 MB) CD. Which one u suggest ? both are not possible to download as I have 250 home plan. If I reinstall then I have to do a lots of job again. If I upgrade the job is less.

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
Oh man, Alternate CD is same as Distro CD. Distro CD has Live while Alternate CD doesn't have Live features. That's the only difference!

OP
skghosh44

skghosh44

dig_boy_dig,dig !
QwertyManiac said:
Oh man, Alternate CD is same as Distro CD. Distro CD has Live while Alternate CD doesn't have Live features. That's the only difference!
Thanks a lot, Now I am clear.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom