How to update from windows 8 to 8.1.

I have restored my laptop using Lenovo OneKey Backup. In backup windows was 8. So I downgraded my windows from 8.1 to 8.
Now I can't update to 8.1. I can't download 8.1, its saying that you'll automatically be prompted to install Windows 8.1 soon.

I can't update my drivers because latest ones are compatible with windows 8.1

Please tell me way to update to 8.1 manually.

Shah

Cyborg Agent
May be, this post by [MENTION=126812]whitestar_999[/MENTION] could help you.

*www.digit.in/forum/software-q/1918...indows-8-pro-key-post2232093.html#post2232093

Try downloading the Windows 8.1 ISO from Media Creation tool and then use the Windows 8 key you have during installation. It did work for me. :D

But, follow this only if you're looking for a fresh install.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
[MENTION=129731]Shah[/MENTION],he can not do that as his win 8 install is not retail but oem version with no key to enter(bios embedded oem key).

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
it is a risky method as some people have reported incorrect/non-working oem keys extracted using such tools not to mention a clean install will most likely break the lenovo one-key recovery.most important factor though is the version of win 8 oem used.i am not talking about "core" & "pro" but "SL(single language)" editions which many oem like HP use.if the oem version is "SL" then embedded bios oem key will not work with "core" & "pro" editions of win 8 available for download."SL" edition is not available as a standard download & no guarantee that even if you find one it will work with your "SL" oem key.

Shah

Cyborg Agent
it is a risky method as some people have reported incorrect/non-working oem keys extracted using such tools not to mention a clean install will most likely break the lenovo one-key recovery.most important factor though is the version of win 8 oem used.i am not talking about "core" & "pro" but "SL(single language)" editions which many oem like HP use.if the oem version is "SL" then embedded bios oem key will not work with "core" & "pro" editions of win 8 available for download."SL" edition is not available as a standard download & no guarantee that even if you find one it will work with your "SL" oem key.

I never knew they are risky.

Top Bottom