How to Update Bios

Status
Not open for further replies.

dabster

In the zone
I have Bought AMD Sempron 2500+(64bit)..But in Windows It shows AMD processor Model Unknown....
I know tht Updating My bios Will remove this Discrepancy....But I have heard tht Updating Bios can also render yr MObo useless if something goes wrong....So can Anybody tell How to Do it,And any Safety Precautions...
My mobo is Gigabyte having a Q-flash Utility....
Has Anybody Tried this utility....

See Ya!

Kniwor

Learner
There is no standard procedure to upgrade a BIOS, it varies from manufacturer to manufacturer...
just download the latese BIOS and there will be instructions on how to do it, u can always use a floppy to upgraade anyhow,

I myself use Winflash to upgrade, this upgrades from inside windows, give it a try if it detects ur mobo, then use it.

abhijit_reddevil

Manchester United
Hello,

I searched the net and found the following useful articles for you:

*www.ehow.com/how_8227_upgrade-computers-bios.html
*www.pcguide.com/ref/mbsys/bios/compFlash-c.html

This is more in general.

And this is for specific Gigabyte motherboards.

*www.gigabyte.com.tw/MotherBoard/Support/BIOS/HowToReflash/HowToReflash_1.htm

Hope this helps.

But please do keep in mind that wrongly updating BIOS can damage your board permanently.

mario_pant

In the zone
mann...... i just reported that thing and it was a sarcastic comment!!!!

our friend digitized had doubleposted.......

OP
D

dabster

In the zone
I am too scared of doing it,that's Why i asked for Views...
Here too, many people say to be very careful...
Anyways current Bios version doesn't bug me except that Windows properties shows tht Processor Model is not known....
Any Other Advantage of Doing It ???

Kniwor

Learner
dabster said:
I am too scared of doing it,that's Why i asked for Views...
Here too, many people say to be very careful...
Anyways current Bios version doesn't bug me except that Windows properties shows tht Processor Model is not known....
Any Other Advantage of Doing It ???

You might have additional functionality, i flash my BIOS everytime a new one's out, be sure to hae a UPS, it only takes seconds, nothings scary, so dont worry and go ahead, winflash is damn easy, but make sure it has identified ur mobo...

And dont do without battery backup like ups, incase the power goes off...

Ringwraith

Journeyman
if u are not facing stability/performance issues with the mobo flashing it is not recommended.
however if u read and follow teh instructions which come with ur new bios, i m sure u wud be able to get it right

kalpik

In Pursuit of "Happyness"
My suggestion, make sure your UPS is working alright and gives at least 5 mins of backup! When your UPS is fully charged, disconnect the power supply, and flash the bios on UPS battery only, so that nothing can go wrong!

EinSTeiN

Broken In
ok, flasing bios is a risky thing. But its quite easy the only point u have to take care of is that u have an uninturrupted power supply. And check if if ur bois supports flashing. Then u can use a bios update.bin file and a bios flashing tool such as winflash or any other boot time flashing software.
Just be careful of the power supply. gud luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom