How to uninstall Win Vista ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

saqib_khan

I M A *STAR*
Hi,
First the scenario.
My sis has a lappy.
She has XP on C: , & Vista on E: or F:(don't remember clearly)
But i m sure she's having XP on C:

Now she got an acute virus & she also dislikes Vista.
So, she decided to remove vista & viruses. Therefore she took it to that lappy shop, now guess what.

They told her that they will take 900 for that(awesome na).
Although it's under warranty. Now, she bargained & they agreed for 500.

Now, they all duffers, fools and any bad word which u remember formatted all drives except c:

Now all the data that she has is gone because of those fools.
So, Vista is removed but still she is getting that bootscreen to select between XP & Vista.

And the shopowner scanned for viruses & removed them, but when she opens any drive it doesn't open. She has to right click first on C: & then it opens in Internet Explorer.

So how to remove that bootscreen & this rightclick problem?????:confused: :confused:

Thanx in advance.

Forgot to tell something.
I've gone to this site www.removevista.com .
But i did'nt have XP's CD nor Vista's therefore its not working according to this site.

Last edited:

Beta Waves

Journeyman
Boot from your Windows XP CD ... and select to repair windows ... You will be asked to enter your admin password ... do it ... then type this command
fixmbr
and say yes for the confirmation ...
Your Boot screen prob will be solved ...
For the right click prob
It is caused by a file autorun.inf .. you have to remove it...
Go to command prompt and then to the root of your drive and type the following commands
attrib -s-h-r autorun.inf
del autorun.inf

dhanusaud

Ambassador of Buzz
@ Boot Screen

1st go to any folder & click tools -> folder options
Click on view tab, scroll little bit down &

Check "Show hidden files" option & uncheck "Hide protected operating system files (recommended), click apply -> Ok. (Click Ok whenever prompted by windows)

Now go to C drive and open a file named "boot.ini" with the help of notepad.
Under [operatin systems] delete the line which contains "windows vista"

After you delete the line, file may seem like this:

Code:
[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

If it seems as above code save the file & reboot your lap. Now you don't have to choose the OS you wanna run.:)

OP
saqib_khan

saqib_khan

I M A *STAR*
i was too thinking like u but i was hesitating to do it .
Now i will do it.

And what abt that virus problem??

dhanusaud

Ambassador of Buzz
you may check for "*.vbs" or as told by beta waves check "autorun.inf", delete both of these file if found in C: D: or blablabla.:D

adi007

Youngling
i just want to add that if the virus is active that is running...then even when u delete autorun.inf and some files..it will get recreated when you again log in..
so use process xp to search and kill the virus process(if it is running) then delete the files...:)

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
900 for managing os...lol

teach ur sis a lil bit abt the internal working.

install a good anti spyware (spy bot search & destroy), scan the system and clean the registry entries an other deep seated exploits.
A good antivirus (avira antivir or nod 32) to remove trojan and malicious files.

Remember a bit of precaution before clicking on a device and link can save u from hours of cleaning and even running all these misc wares. Only an antivirus is required by a pro.

OP
saqib_khan

saqib_khan

I M A *STAR*
@ Boot Screen

1st go to any folder & click tools -> folder options
Click on view tab, scroll little bit down &

Check "Show hidden files" option & uncheck "Hide protected operating system files (recommended), click apply -> Ok. (Click Ok whenever prompted by windows)

Now go to C drive and open a file named "boot.ini" with the help of notepad.
Under [operatin systems] delete the line which contains "windows vista"

After you delete the line, file may seem like this:

Code:
[boot loader]
timeout=30
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

If it seems as above code save the file & reboot your lap. Now you don't have to choose the OS you wanna run.:)

it is like this only, but still shows the bootscreen.
Now what to do?

dhanusaud

Ambassador of Buzz
impossible if your boot.ini file matches the code, you must solved the problem. bcz this is the 1st file which helps os to boot. it won't prompt you to choose OS, bocz next option for windows vista is deleted at all, so how sud your BIOS prompts you choose the OS as well? Plz see the code carefully.:p

Same way check other drives for the same file. May it be reading boot.ini from next partition.:rolleyes:

dhanusaud

Ambassador of Buzz
dhanusaud i m saying truth to u.
The code is like this only.

Problem still persists? Reinstalling or repairing XP is only the last solution.:)
If your sis's lap comes with genuine OS then, you must have restore CD for OS & Drivers, if counterfeit, find someone who has pirated CD for your OS or ask the service provider for the same.

OP
saqib_khan

saqib_khan

I M A *STAR*
;
;Warning: Boot.ini is used on Windows XP and earlier operating systems.
;Warning: Use BCDEDIT.exe to modify Windows Vista boot options.
;
[boot loader]
timeout=30
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /NOEXECUTE=OPTIN /FASTDETECT

Here r the contents of boot.ini file.

dhanusaud

Ambassador of Buzz
your windows drive (i mean partition where windows is installed) still contains some vista files. i exactly don't remember about vista boot handler (bcoz i too uninstalled vista few months back) but there may some files in windows drive. See AUTOEXEC.BAT, if it has any code inside paste here. See if there is "bootmgr" in windows drive, if yes delete it. Use some registry cleaners as well as junkies cleaner like "Ccleaner" provided in digit cd/dvd every month.

vaibhav.Kanwal

Self Confessed Geek
Even i had a similar problem of right click thing, her'a how a solved it : -
I installed Avira Antivir its a free Antivirus and even has rootkits!
Its superb, 200% better than Norton, including Avast, it'll surely remove all the viruses for sure, take my word for it.
After installing it, go in Safe Mode and run a system scan, all your virus should be gone for sure, then go to command prompt and open C:
type "attrib *.inf -S -R -H" without the quotes and pres enter
type " del *.inf " without the quotes and restart your system.

You right-click Autorun problem will be solved!
This will work only if you have removed all the virus from your system and for that vists www.avira.com for the antivirus i told you, believe me your system will e good as new :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom