How to restore/fix underclocked HD6850; PC won't boot or go past login screen.

domin8r

Journeyman
I have the MSI HD6850 card, bought last June. I've been using it since then, no major problems, most games run on medium/high settings fine. About a week back, some games started to freeze between gameplay, and then after a few days, Win7 would hang whenever I'd be using it, games running or not. I cleaned out the PC, swapped the single RAM into another slot, but it'd still hang after a few minutes, randomly. I booted into a live Ubuntu CD and it got stuck there too. I removed the card altogether and used the PC, and it ran fine. Now I read today that the MSI 6850 has a history of freezing, and the way people have been able to fix it is by underclocking it to 1005 MHz. I tried that method today (did it with MSI afterburner), but now sometimes the PC doesn't boot (get past the POST screen), or when it does, it hangs on the desktop login screen. Is there anyway I can rollback these changes to default values now that my PC doesn't boot into the OS?

Thanks a bunch.

OP
D

domin8r

Journeyman
An update. Removed the card, and the PC ran fine for about 30 minutes, froze and rebooted. I think at this time it'd also be important for me to list the specs, so here they are:

CPU: Intel i5 2400
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H61M-D2-B3
HDD: Seagate 500GB
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 4GBx1
GPU: MSI R6850 Cyclone 1GD5PE/OC

I'm running Win7, and I've also done complete anti-virus and spyware checks. Should I boot into an Ubuntu Live CD and try again, or does this look like a motherboard malfunction?

OP
D

domin8r

Journeyman
Hmmph... this is going to be awful. This is the second time this mobo has faultered, and it's not even two years. The first time I got it back from repairs, Gigabyte's CC called me up to check what my experience with their new mobo was. @sumonpathak, would you by any chance know how much (the duration, that is) the warranty of Gigabyte products is?

Top Bottom