How to resize partition

Status
Not open for further replies.

amit_at_stg

Broken In
My c drive (xp installed) has very low disk space. I want to resize the partition without risk of data. Please tell the safest tool to do that.

vamsi360

Always confused
I recommend gparted livecd and use it, I have a lot of experience using it successfully.
It is free too based on slackware linux.

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
GParted....the best tool out there. Present in Ubuntu Live Disc...If you have one of those Digit Discs.

black1231

Right off the assembly line
Making changes on disk/partitions is always a bugbear to me.
Well, what I used to resize my partition was "easeus partition manager"(You may Google for it). I was also afraid of losing my data at the beginning. But what I found at last proved that my worry was unnecessary.
Well, here are the tips I learnt from the resizing process:
To make a partition smaller, the partition must contain unused space.
To enlarge a partition, there must be free space adjacent to it. LOL

Ramakrishnan

The Researcher
Can Ubuntu live disk be used to partion C drive WITHOUT losing the data ???

Go ahead. Just yesterday I used the Ubuntu 8.10 live cd. It contains Gparted. It is good and there will be no loss of data. Unfortunately, I used a Gparted Boot CD, but there was no GUI.

vinayasurya

Journeyman
Remember , if you have important data in C drive take a backup. Delete some unnecessary files and deframent drive. You the resizing too whatever it is only after that. Incase it gives a warning of data loss, never proceed.

srbharadwaj

Broken In
Remember , if you have important data in C drive take a backup. Delete some unnecessary files and deframent drive. You the resizing too whatever it is only after that. Incase it gives a warning of data loss, never proceed.

I have 2 partitions "C drive" 287GB which has Vista + around 120gb for data
"D drive" 10gb of recovery

Now i want to partition that 287GB into 7gb + 80gb + 200gb without losing the data
want to have ubuntu on the 7gb partition vista on 80gb partion and the rest with data...:confused::confused::confused: what to do....cant i do without losing the 120gb of data???

vinayasurya

Journeyman
I have 2 partitions "C drive" 287GB which has Vista + around 120gb for data
"D drive" 10gb of recovery

Now i want to partition that 287GB into 7gb + 80gb + 200gb without losing the data
want to have ubuntu on the 7gb partition vista on 80gb partion and the rest with data...:confused::confused::confused: what to do....cant i do without losing the 120gb of data???

In that case first defragment C. This makes the files spread over the disk to organized and swept to one area and not scattered around. Then resize C to around 140 GB. Create the 7 GB partition for ubuntu + its swap. Create the rest as 133 GB partition. Move the data from C to new 133 GB partiton. Then you will have enough free space in C. Then resize C to your desired size and increase the size of the 133 GB partition to use that space.

It is recommended that you take back up important files.Partition resizing is risky esp C.

srbharadwaj

Broken In
In that case first defragment C. This makes the files spread over the disk to organized and swept to one area and not scattered around. Then resize C to around 140 GB. Create the 7 GB partition for ubuntu + its swap. Create the rest as 133 GB partition. Move the data from C to new 133 GB partiton. Then you will have enough free space in C. Then resize C to your desired size and increase the size of the 133 GB partition to use that space.

It is recommended that you take back up important files.Partition resizing is risky esp C.

After defraging C, Should i resize C to 140gb by using vista shink/expand feature or by using Ubunbtu?

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner
even b4 this post had jus 2 replies, I read the 2nd reply wich said:
Partition Magic is a good tool
so installed that and repartitoned my C Drive from 6 GB to 10 GB tat too w'out loosing any data watsoever.. :)

So, to the OP and oter ppl as well, Norton's Partition Magic 8 is also a really gr8 tool.. :) It will resize ur HDD partition after a system restart.. :)

srbharadwaj

Broken In
even b4 this post had jus 2 replies, I read the 2nd reply wich said:
so installed that and repartitoned my C Drive from 6 GB to 10 GB tat too w'out loosing any data watsoever.. :)

So, to the OP and oter ppl as well, Norton's Partition Magic 8 is also a really gr8 tool.. :) It will resize ur HDD partition after a system restart.. :)

But it dos'nt wrk in vista i guess... :(

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner
^^

Well, i hv no idea abt it ...sorry.. :(

I tried on my WIN XP Pro+SP3 OS...
--------------------

Cheers n e-peace...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom