How to progress after BCA need suggestions and guidelines over Computer Security

warlord

Right off the assembly line
I just passed my BCA from a not much recognized university. Previously I planned to go for MCA after BCA but 3 year duration and tough competitive exams for good universities put me off because I'm not so good in mathematics.

So, now I am thinking of doing M.Sc (cs) and if failed to find a good job then M.Tech later on, but now in confusion from where to do M.Sc. as I want a university which has syllabus that offers lot of new things to learn instead of learning something outdated or what I had already studied in BCA.
So if anyone can suggest me universities in India which has good syllabi for MSc (IT/CS)??

And secondly, I am good in Java and I keep on developing several software in it on my own and plus I have a keen interest in the field of Computer Security (not exactly the hacking stuff but like secure coding etc.) and Computer Networks. I keep on studying over computer security.

I really want to get into the field of computer security, but do not know how to pave my path in Indian environment. I know about international certifications in computer security and I am also preparing for CEH but do not know exactly how to move in this field and what is desired and what is not including what degrees would pay off like BCA,MCA,Msc.

Please if someone give me some suggestions over these two doubts, i'll be really grateful.

krishnandu.sarkar

Simply a DIGITian
Staff member
Well, I'm also a BCA and didn't opted for MCA as I'm not good in Maths.

I'm doing job right now along with freelancing on my free times.

I had also researched on M.Sc(CS) or M.Sc(IT) like you. The thing I got is M.Sc(CS) includes Maths but M.Sc(IT) doesn't. But I really didn't find any profit of doing that. Because after monitoring many job emails for months I rarely saw recruiters want M.Sc(CS) and M.Sc(IT). Still M.Sc(CS) has better opportunities than M.Sc(IT).

Yes like me you can go for International Certifications along with Job. That experience will really going to matter later.

So I'm now arranging money, but didn't started anything yet.

So for the field of security, and computer networks, I'd say consider CCNA, CCNP, CISSE, RHCE, RHCSS, CEH.

I'm interested in security too but more interested in Programming, Now as I choosed my domain, I don't want to change it. Though I'm planning for RHCE. Will consider RHCSS, CEH etc. if I can arrange money(which I think I can't :p).

One more thing, these certifications helps getting promotion rather than job mainly. I'm not saying that you won't get job with these certifications, but promotions are mainly considered based on these certifications(I may be wrong, please correct me if I'm wrong).

As you said that you are interested in Java too, you can consider learning J2EE to increase your knowledge from just J2SE that was taught in BCA. Consider Java Certifications too, like SCJP, SCWP etc. if you are interested in programming more.

Anand_Tux

Journeyman
You have to make your priority very clear because from your post it appears that you have many interesting options.For your knowledge Java, computer Security & Computer Networks are three different field altogether. If you really want to make a career in computer security do the CEH course very well because it is the gateway for further study in computer security. Just take a look at this link
*www.thestudycamp.com/forum/news/19679-top-computer-security-certification-courses-2011-best-most-demand.html

Top Bottom