How to practise SQL ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

esumitkumar

Call me Sumit
Hi

I have win XP installed on my laptop. My frnd wants to learn SQL . I can teach him . But prob is that which software to install to access SQL on laptop ????

For teaching him unix , I had installed Linux and he practised on Terminal :p

Now how to install oracle DB and access SQL ??

Any free tool ?

Please reply and thanks :)

Garbage

God of Mistakes...
Try MySQL

It's FREE and widely used (as Oracle).

And mostly, SQL queries remains same across various databases. So, don't worry. :)

dheeraj_kumar

Legen-wait for it-dary!
Use oracle and sql developer. You can also go for mysql as garbage said. Both are widely used, and are quite similar.

victor_rambo

हॉर्न ओके प्लीज़
If you are going to use MySQL, then also download the MySQL GUI tools. It includes a server administrator and query browser. Many people don't consider efficiency of queries and as a result, they become 'expert' in writing bloated queries and slowing the applications!

Besides, it will always leave a good impression of you if a senior sees a well-optimised query.

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
^^hey but MySql doesn't support nested queries and some other things like procedures etc AFAIK :p

a_k_s_h_a_y

Dreaming
Yes let me add.

Oracle and MySQL from SUN will completely slow down the system.
Especially Orace !!! The sql servers and other process running in the back ground eat system resources.

OP
esumitkumar

esumitkumar

Call me Sumit
^^^ grrrrr :x ye sab pehle kyun nahin bataya..

I just want a simple SQL prompt where I can create tables, run some joins , WHERE clause queries thats IT

a_k_s_h_a_y

Dreaming
You mean subqueries or joins? It does support!
Stored procedures are supported from v5 onwards!

RUBBISH.

Oh ya ? why not download and install Oracle Enterprise 10g on your system and try out ! ;)

200 MB RAM for Oralce, 20 MB for Java and few other process taking some 100 MB of RAM is not bad .. then fine !! These process load at start up ! form start your RAM is taken.

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
better get whole package xampp, run when you need and do not waste your memory all the time :p
*www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp-linux.html

victor_rambo

हॉर्न ओके प्लीज़
Oh ya ? why not download and install Oracle Enterprise 10g on your system and try out ! ;)

200 MB RAM for Oralce, 20 MB for Java and few other process taking some 100 MB of RAM is not bad .. then fine !! These process load at start up ! form start your RAM is taken.
Don't start jumping on reading my replies. I have never directed my reply towards Oracle, but towards MySQL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom