How To Move Your Linux Systems To ext4

Status
Not open for further replies.

praka123

left this forum longback
"Ext4 is the latest in a long line of Linux file systems, and it's likely to be as important and popular as its predecessors. As a Linux system administrator, you should be aware of the advantages, disadvantages, and basic steps for migrating to ext4. This article explains when to adopt ext4, how to adapt traditional file system maintenance tool usage to ext4, and how to get the most out of the file system."
-via slashdot
*linux.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=08/05/06/1650257

*www.ibm.com/developerworks/linux/library/l-ext4/?ca=dgr-lnxw01LinuxFSext4&S_TACT=105AGX59&S_CMP=GR

Now the Question is who's gonna try it at its current state ?:eek: :lol:

OP
praka123

praka123

left this forum longback
hot news!as per one site below, fedora 9 released,but yet not came onto their web page :p
may be presently syncing all mirrors with cd and dvd images of fedora 9 :)
*www.linux-noob.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=3455

mear sub-mortals like me with an 80 GB HDD have little or no use for this file system that has all features fit for futuristic servers. The undelete option looks good, but I hope it is a root only option. And a delete deleted file option(by filling deleted file's space with zeros) will also be welcome.

OP
praka123

praka123

left this forum longback
^yeah,but you know,they need to sync all servers with release ISO.so,unofficially it is released :D
you may grab a ISO :D

^yeah,but you know,they need to sync all servers with release ISO.so,unofficially it is released :D
you may grab a ISO :D
WTF ! Fedora 7 and 8 DVDs I got from PC World and LFY respectively just flew by. Time indeed runs. :rolleyes:

PS: you going to grab its torrent or its direct link ? and when do you think we shall download it ? I am thinking of waiting for LFY instead.

OP
praka123

praka123

left this forum longback
well,I am not gonna try now.I am pretty much satisfied by Debian.

torrents may be available at linuxtracker.org etc :)

Fedora 9 will definitely give a good competition to Ubuntu.

well,I am not gonna try now.I am pretty much satisfied by Debian.

torrents may be available at linuxtracker.org etc :)

Fedora 9 will definitely give a good competition to Ubuntu.
but ubuntu hardy has had cool speed boosts compared to gutsy. so its better for slower machines like ours((:)x)))

PS: will taring my /home directory and burning it to a DVD, when I currently run feisty, then install hardy, but this time, make a seperate 10 GB /home partition out of the alloted 17 gb for my current linux partition(excluding swap), then copying the contents of the tarred /home to the new /home transfer my feisty settings to my hardy ?

OP
praka123

praka123

left this forum longback
^well,it will work mostly.do use "gconf-cleaner" later :)

Fedora 9 is now very fast(as per forums) and uses the "upstart" init replacement daemon as in ubuntu. wait and watch :p

^well,it will work mostly.do use "gconf-cleaner" later :)
why ?(the gconf-cleaner part)
Fedora 9 is now very fast(as per forums) and uses the "upstart" init replacement daemon as in ubuntu. wait and watch :p
woweee! then is there any way to get dpkg onto fedora ?:p

till then ubuntu it is for me:rolleyes:

PS: if fedora rivals ubuntu in speed, are you concidering replacing ubuntu with fedora as your eye-candy OS, while retaining debian as your primary one ?

OP
praka123

praka123

left this forum longback
well,currently I am experimenting archlinux :p small and fast(gnome or kdemod for fast).

gconf-cleaner -cleans obsolete conf files in ur ~/ directory those "." files.

well,currently I am experimenting archlinux :p small and fast(gnome or kdemod for fast).
Haven't you finished with arch yet ? I suggest you move to gentoo and start rivaling mehulved.
Or go for FreeBSD + Debian, an excellent Linux + BSD combo for our forum's OSS mascot :p
slackware ain't too bad an ultra light weight distro either:cool:

subratabera

Just another linux lover.
Ubuntu (or any other Linux) can perform better with very minor tweaks. e.g. Preload, disabling unnecessary services, reducing swapiness etc. But Fedora is really faster than ubuntu (at least the live image) as per my own experience.

Ubuntu (or any other Linux) can perform better with very minor tweaks. e.g. Preload, disabling unnecessary services, reducing swapiness etc. But Fedora is really faster than ubuntu (at least the live image) as per my own experience.
willing to put your money on Fedora9 ? Lets see how good is Fedora 9 with ext4, compared to Ubuntu Hardy with ext3, with both out of box and tweaked conditions. It will be an intresting experiment.

subratabera

Fedora is always ahead in implementing new technologies than any other distro. This time also Fedora is the first major distro to package ext4 file system. But it is a little behind of Ubuntu because its a little harder to configure. Also package management is another area where Ubuntu is leading. Let's see what PackageKit can do to impress us.

btw, fed9 was leaked 2 days ago from what linuxtracker tells.
*linuxtracker.org/index.php?page=torrent-details&id=2dc9caedfe087535556227a156e493815749f2c8

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
Fedora is always ahead in implementing new technologies than any other distro. This time also Fedora is the first major distro to package ext4 file system.
You mean sabayon is a minor distro? As per distrowatch it is in top 10 for last 6 months. Or you mean, anything outside top 5 is minor?

willing to put your money on Fedora9 ? Lets see how good is Fedora 9 with ext4, compared to Ubuntu Hardy with ext3, with both out of box and tweaked conditions. It will be an intresting experiment.
Is ext4 the default fs? I doubt, I believe that it's just that ext4 fs support has been added to anaconda's partitioning tool, disk druid, if I remember right.
So, you should have option to select ext4 but it may not be the default file system.

Check *fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/Ext4 and *fedoraproject.org/wiki/FedoraExt4

Last edited:

subratabera

You mean sabayon is a minor distro? As per distrowatch it is in top 10 for last 6 months. Or you mean, anything outside top 5 is minor?

Thanks for reminding about sabayon. Yes, I admit that's another distro which always gives us bleeding edge technologies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom