How To Move Your Linux Systems To ext4

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
praka123

praka123

left this forum longback
Haven't you finished with arch yet ? I suggest you move to gentoo and start rivaling mehulved.
Or go for FreeBSD + Debian, an excellent Linux + BSD combo for our forum's OSS mascot :p
slackware ain't too bad an ultra light weight distro either:cool:

Archlinux may stay :) .gentoo-It is residing in 2nd hdd.had tried overlays etc.but I think it is a waste of time ;) .but appreciate their community esp documentation et al. even Arch got ABS which can do the optimization part.

@subrata:yes,even I felt fedora 9 is spontaneous than ubuntu.only gripe(acc. to me) is "rpm" :)

packagekit:different distro's implementation of this frontend is not so satisfactory.for eg: I tried foresight linux which uses conary package manager and with packagekit as front-end,it performs worst :rolleyes:

Garbage

God of Mistakes...
[offtopic]
Don't you guyz going offtopic ??
[/offtopic]

Any way, features of ext4 looks kool... lets see....

Ext3 tops out at 32 tebibyte (TiB) file systems and 2 TiB files, but practical limits may be lower than this depending on your architecture and system settings—perhaps as low as 2 TiB file systems and 16 gibibyte (GiB) files. Ext4, by contrast, permits file systems of up to 1024 pebibyte (PiB), or 1 exbibyte (EiB), and files of up to 16 TiB. This may not be important (yet!) for the average desktop computer or server, but it is important to users with large disk arrays.
OMG !! :O I don't think, I'll need this much data ever in my life ... :D

Most file systems, including ext3, include timestamp data that is accurate to a second. Ext4 extends the accuracy of this data to a nanosecond. Some sources also indicate that the ext4 timestamps support dates through April 25, 2514, versus January 18, 2038, for ext3.
nice... :)

Last edited:

JGuru

Wise Old Owl
Ext4 doesn't make any difference to Home users!!! But in an Enterprise setup that
handles tons of data in TBs, it's sure to put filesystems on steriods. That's were you
can notice huge Performance gains.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom