How To Install Software In Linux ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

rishitells

Always in Dreams...
Dear friends,
I have a mandriva linux 2006 3 cd version. can you tell me how can i install a software in linux ???? it is very necessary for me:confused:

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
And it's very necessary for you to post in the right section. All the threads you have started are in the wrong section.
As to your answer, if you have a good net connection. Search on google for yum and install it. It is a good package manager better than the one in Mandriva.

mehulved

Saharika said:
my question was how to install newer versoin of php in linux red hat 9...but never got answer
The same should work for you.
Download and install yum and it's dependancies. And then install php through it. Now, I haven't worked on RHL 9 so I dunno if it has some package manager bundled and which version of php is there.
This may help *linux.lsu.edu/yum.php.

mehulved

Open it and read the README file.
It should be .tar.gz most probably.
tar is an arcihiving format and gz stands for gunzip which is for compressing files.

Besides the software you install will have many dependancies. So, you will have to search for those and install it.
It's a lot of headache. Installing from source is only recommended if you have lot of time and a bit of knowledge about linux. But, you can as well go ahead and give it a go. I have tried compiling a few softwares from source in Slackware it took long time to find all dependancies and get everything working but it makes you understand a lot of things too, no doubt.

Vivek788

In the zone
ya i understnd but all new softwares are not availble as packs.Also in my fc6,i cannot access my cds as repositories.Where are the sources stored in the filesystem so that i can specify cds?

mehulved

Have you tried yum? It has almost all the required softwares in it's repositories. I haven't needed to compile anything from source for a long time as everything I need and more is available in the repositories. Yeah maybe the latest version isn't available but in the world of Open Source the increments are marginal so you don't miss much if you are a bit behind.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom