how to install a graphics card please help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

quan chi

mortal kombat
hello friends.

i have bought nvidia 8500gt 512 mb gfx.

and i have onboard gfx also.intel 82915gv/910gl express.

well i am totally new in this.in manual many things were written like disabeling onboard gfx from bios or comos and enabling pcie slot.something like that.
but not in detail.

most of their procedure i could not make out. as i know very little of this bios thing.

so it will be kind if anyone can please guide me step by step what should i do.:oops:

i will be waiting for your reply.

i have windows xp professional sp2.asus p5gl mx mobo.

saqib_khan

I M A *STAR*
First uninstall ur onboard gfx driver, then insert ur new gfx card in ur pcie x16 slot and then install ur new driver from the cd provided.
But wait for other comment's also.
I m not 100% sure.

keith_j_snyder2

Rising ApocalypsE
^ This is right but after installing the card on PCI-E slot, Open BIOS settings and select PCI-E as display( if this option is available on ur board) otherwise select auto.

And don't forget to remove power cable from PSU before installing the graphics card.
BTW congrats on that purchase.

OP
quan chi

quan chi

mortal kombat
^ This is right but after installing the card on PCI-E slot, Open BIOS settings and select PCI-E as display( if this option is available on ur board) otherwise select auto.

And don't forget to remove power cable from PSU before installing the graphics card.
BTW congrats on that purchase.

thanks.after that i have to put the monitor plug into the gfx socket isnt it..

OP
quan chi

quan chi

mortal kombat
guys what changes should i make to my bios.

here are some questions.
1. on onboard devices configuration.there is one sub option 'palette snooping' [disabled]

should i enable it??

2.in advanced chipset settings pre-allocated graphics memory [enabled,8mb]

should i disable it??

3.what is pci latency timer ?mine is set to 64.

should i make any changes here??

and plug and play option is set to no should i set it to yes.

on manual palette snooping is described as when enabled this feature informs the pcl devices that an isa graphics device is installed in the system so that the latter can function correctly.

spikygv

Wise Old Owl
1. no clue
2. no memory will be allocated after installing g-card , any value and the memory allocated for graphics from ram by BIOS will be zero.
3. again no idea.

Ethan_Hunt

Aspiring Novelist
Dude don't fiddle around with any BIOS settings.Just make sure you only uninstall you onboard drivers.Post plugging the card just install the latest drivers & off you go.Run GPU-Z & check the specs if you want to & run some games for sometime with FRAPS on to benchmark it.That's it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom