How to get Windows 7 with Discount

speedyguy

Cyborg Agent
Hi,

I'm assembling a new desktop. I need a Windows 7 Setup but can't spend much cash on that as already shedding it for a good configuration. Nothing thought of the budget yet but can anyone tell me how I can get some really good deals/discounts.

I heard in some countries, there's 50-60% discount for students and IT professionals. Anything like that here? I don't want to risk my system with non-legal copy and get my OS blocked any random time. Please advice.

Thanks,

Enjoy~!

Tech&ME

Banned
Try Microsoft DreamSpark.com you can get windows 7 for FREE.

Ask your university or college [ if you are a student ] to get windows 7 on discounted price.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^dreamspark is only for verified student status/educational institutions which are very few in India & it does not have windows 7 but windows server.

@speedyguy,cheapest way is to get windows 7 home basic to premium upgrade for ~2700(on flipkart) & there are ways to do a clean install to successfully install a new copy of home premium even if you are supposed to only upgrade a genuine win 7 home basic to premium.

Tech&ME

Banned
@whitestar_999

I know this, if he want, he can convert the windows server 2008 to windows 7 easily [ I am using the same DreamSpark version of windows server 2008 r2 as my primary Windows 7 on my desktop PC.

Everything works perfectly and its FREE genuine copy of windows after all.

Verification is easy, if you e-mail them, they will give you entry to the site. [ just request and try ]

OP
speedyguy

speedyguy

Cyborg Agent
@whitestar_999: For that also I need to have some version of windows right? I presently have none.

Tech&ME: How did you convert your server 2008 to Win 7? I can't get verified on their registration. Will try out mailing them.

Enjoy~!

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Getting verified on dreamspark was just a request mail away. But since this year they have revamped the process. And now it's not so easy.
You got to send your college ID and course detail to get verified now.

Anyway, @Tech&Me: If the conversion of Windows 2008 to 7 is genuine, please share it.

Tech&ME

Banned
Yes it is 100% genuine. This site will help you do it : Convert your Windows Server 2008 R2 to a Workstation! -

Tech&ME

Banned
^^
Can you give me a direct link to Win 7 Professional and ( Office ) download page ?

I am a verified administrator for our High School Students.

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
^^
Can you give me a direct link to Win 7 Professional and ( Office ) download page ?

I am a verified administrator for our High School Students.

I'm sorry but its not redistributable. One of my friend distributed office, and his serial was blocked.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
@whitestar_999: For that also I need to have some version of windows right? I presently have none.
no you don't.that's what i posted in my previous post search using google & you will find 3 ways to install using upgrade disc & serial to install windows on a new/blank/formatted hard disc.

@dashing.sujay,win7pro is available for free but now-a-days dreamspark login requires some kind of pre-made account info by your educational institution so if you are not in such an institution it is not possible to login.

@tech&me,i read that link & basically it alters looks/functionality of windows server 2008 to behave like windows 7 but it doesn't actually convert it.after all server edition has different files than win 7 editions.

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
@dashing.sujay,win7pro is available for free but now-a-days dreamspark login requires some kind of pre-made account info by your educational institution so if you are not in such an institution it is not possible to login.

Yes, they do ask. We were given dreamspark IDs by MS reps in our college to activate. I missed to get one :( (currently using friend's)

I asked another rep of MS about giving dreamspark IDs once again, he said, "big deal, take 100" :))

tkin

Back to school!!
My college is listed but I can't verify as I don't have an university provided mail address, damn it.

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
No, they provide win 7 professional (plus office too :)) ). I'm an owner of dreamspark account.

The only ones close to Win 7 OS that I could find are these:
Windows Server 2008 Standard Edition
Windows Server 2012 RC
Windows Embedded Standard 7

Tech&ME

Banned
I just asked you for the link of the page, I didn't asked you for any SERIAL KEY. I just can't figure out where is Windows 7 Professional listed on the DreamSpark site ?? :-(
@tech&me,i read that link & basically it alters looks/functionality of windows server 2008 to behave like windows 7 but it doesn't actually convert it.after all server edition has different files than win 7 editions.

No, dude, its not about looks. You will be surprised !! When my friends and relative comes home, they never know if it is Windows Server or Windows 7 I am actually running until I tell them to either see the login screen or tell them to see the System Properties windows !! :grin:

You will never know until you do it yourself. [ its a hard work after all ]

The only ones close to Win 7 OS that I could find are these:
Windows Server 2008 Standard Edition
Windows Server 2012 RC
Windows Embedded Standard 7

Yes ! exactly, never found Windows 7 listed there.

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
I just asked you for the link of the page, I didn't asked you for any SERIAL KEY. I just can't figure out where is Windows 7 Professional listed on the DreamSpark site ??

IIRC it doesn't asks for any serial key, just the auto generated setup is account specific only, I'll it confirm it today though. Right now, my connection seems to slow, will update in evening about win 7 pro. Last time I saw it, I remember perfectly.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
@tech&me,windows 7 pro is not listed in dreamspark site but in the web store section of the educational institution.when you go to institution section & search for your institution the result has a link to their webstore below.this is where all the softwares are listed including win7pro.

i am not concerned about looks but functionality.some of the softwares i use frequently are not compatible with server 2008 so it is not an option for me.if someone can run softwares without problems on server edition then it is alright.

@tkin,if your institute is listed then maybe your institute has already created dreamspark account for you.you just need to get the id/activation code/whatever & use it to login into webstore link for your institute(not the dreamspark main site.see at the start of this post).

Top Bottom