How to Get job at Google?

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
This is what I wanted to say. Top companies is very vague term now. Different people point to companies different category.

My bad....
I can't imagine the ones you pointed out as "top". I was speaking at a worldwide scale.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't want to go in these Indian (3rd tier) IT companies.
I want to make myself efficient in college (as my social life is s**t) to bag job at Google. As I'm already far behind in race, thanks to my college.
And I'm targeting developer field.

Your chances of getting your dream job are very slim if you want to work at google as a developer.
You should have a MS degree at the very least.

- - - Updated - - -

Go to Carnegie Mellon and your job is all but confirmed(Assuming you don't drop out). :p

- - - Updated - - -
[MENTION=294461]abhigeek[/MENTION] I am not saying that it's impossible from your position. But, you will have to be extraordinary in coding and stuff(at life itself).

krishnandu.sarkar

Simply a DIGITian
Staff member
My bad....
I can't imagine the ones you pointed out as "top". I was speaking at a worldwide scale.

Sorry :( Can't think of worldwide top ones due to my degree :p

Your chances of getting your dream job are very slim if you want to work at google as a developer.
You should have a MS degree at the very least.

- - - Updated - - -

Go to Carnegie Mellon and your job is all but confirmed(Assuming you don't drop out). :p

- - - Updated - - -
[MENTION=294461]abhigeek[/MENTION] I am not saying that it's impossible from your position. But, you will have to be extraordinary in coding and stuff(at life itself).

I don't want to go in these Indian (3rd tier) IT companies.
I want to make myself efficient in college (as my social life is s**t) to bag job at Google. As I'm already far behind in race, thanks to my college.
And I'm targeting developer field.

Yeah, don't think that we are demoralizing you. But it's not like solving that C problem in college first amongst your peers or grabbing that basic Data Structure algo they are teaching you.

I can't find the exact link I came across few months ago. A story of an IIT'an cracking Google Interview and bags a job with 1.64 Cr. Package. In that blog he actually what is asked at google interview and all.

Check out these links..
Interview => TopTalent.in | Exclusive Interview with Prashanth from IIT Madras who landed a job at Microsoft, Redmond
News =>
22-year-old IITian from Vidisha bags Rs 70 lakh job from Twitter - The Times of India
2 BITS Pilani students bag year's highest Rs 1.44 cr pay package - The Times of India
Three IITians get Rs. 92L offer from Google - The Hindu

Example => Google Interview Puzzles - Logical and Mind Puzzles asked in Google

So, if you had made your mind for Google, it's good. Then it's time for some real hard practice and fact check.
1. As already said above, it's almost impossible to bag one without MS degree or sort of it. Indian degrees like B.Tech generally won't work.
2. Google India doesn't have much options for Developer. You can check yourself in Google Career site. Mostly Operations and Support. Yeah you will get few UI Developers Position.
3. Forget those of your Engg college books, try to know the IIT, BITS Pilani course curriculum. And go through that.

Finally if possible, if you have any IIT guys in your circle try to get the course structure and things that are followed there. And go through those.

Well, I know, IIT, Jadavpur University, KIT etc. are much over-hyped here in India. But what to do, max. Top companies prefer them.

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
<RANT>^It's news like those that misguide the population of India. The average salary in IIT/BITS is relatively quite low. Only a handful of extraordinary students get those salaries and every parent in India wants their child to become one of them. The students mindlessly obey and give JEE exam in the hopes of getting a seat in IIT. Then they get admission in some side branch of engineering like Materials and then their lives are ruined. Seriously, the media should stop this.....
Also, having just a B.tech degree stops promotion to higher positions later in life(That's what I was told by my counselor).</RANT>

Meanwhile my dream....

Nerevarine

Incarnate
According to a senior friend who recently joined google, he needed 8.5 CGPA + Give written test based on OOP/DS/Algo which was moderately tough + Clear the interview.. The hardest part was obviously the interview.. I dont have any idea what the mass recruiter asked but judging by the stats, im sure it was not easy
Getting into Indian tech companies is much more easier tho
Just like you, I too am a second year student.. But I have given up hope for a good position in tier 1 company.. Why ? Because I know my limits and I dont want to be dissapointed hoping for something big.. But since, you are very serious into getting in a tier 1 company, I sincerely hope you succeed, more power to you broda..Cheers!

Last edited:
OP
abhigeek
8.5 CGPA??:shock:

I'm dreaming big coz
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
Yes, I know that I can easily get into 3 tier Indian IT companies.
So It better to aim big

krishnandu.sarkar

Simply a DIGITian
Staff member
^^Yeah, for the same reason, by TOP Companies I mean Indian TOP IT MNC Companies.

Can't think of Worldwide TOP Ones as I know that I'm not that competent. It's not like I don't have the degree, but also I don't have that proper education / knowledge.

Anyway @OP, best of luck to you, but as already said by us, enquire about it extensively. Don't hope for something which you are not capable of. And if you think you are capable, work hard and I'm sure you'll succeed.

And as you said, that PCM is not mandatory for Algo, unfortunately it's not that bro. Even I don't like PCM and don't understand a single thing about M, but I do love and good at Automata and Algo. But it's altogether a different story, because those algo's not going to help you.

You need to go through the Graphics Algo's, AI Algo's they are more arithmetical. Check out if you can achieve.

In your case you don't like PCM, in my case, I never studied it, so I don't know a single thing about PCM

OP
abhigeek
If I try and don't succeed, I'll go for Indian IT companies.
If I don't try , I'll go for Indian IT companies.
So its better to try something.
[MENTION=32490]krishnandu.sarkar[/MENTION] so you done diploma plus degree?

krishnandu.sarkar

Simply a DIGITian
Staff member
Ofcourse if you feel you are capable ofcourse try for it instead of regretting later.
[MENTION=294461]abhigeek[/MENTION] No I have done BCA. But I don't know a single thing about PCM.

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
Instead of focussing on increasing your cgpa from x to 9, just work on your skills. Remember, there is no limit for improvement; the real competition is much much tougher than you have seen yet. Some day, you will be at Google.

OP
abhigeek
Instead of focussing on increasing your cgpa from x to 9, just work on your skills. Remember, there is no limit for improvement; the real competition is much much tougher than you have seen yet. Some day, you will be at Google.

I'm working on skills, as i'm not good in impressing my teachers or exaggerating a simple answer in exams.

mitraark

Decrepit
Google "Anudeep Nekkanti" , go through the Quora posts, and other blog posts, that'll help in getting some idea.

Having said that, I'd really advise you to proceed one step at a time, don't think of Google as your primary target, but rather focus on short term goals to make yourself a better.

a_k_s_h_a_y

Dreaming
if you are that interested in computers, then google becomes a 2nd option.
your primary goal will be a startup.. thats were the smartest and bold kids are any way.

for your age, pursue your dreams and passion! things better than job might happen.

Last edited:
Top Bottom