How to get DVI and HDMI ouput from CPU

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
without any graphics hardware there will be no display.also there are combinations of processor+mobo where neither has graphics so buying graphics card is must.e.g.amd bulldozer series processors don't have inbuilt graphics & many medium & top end motherboards for these processor also don't have any integrated graphics so such a combination will require graphics card.for intel every current generation core i processor(& even pentium dual core based on same core i)has inbuilt graphics so for intel just buying a processor & compatible mobo is enough(though remember some cheap mobos only have ancient VGA/D-sub output with no DVI or HDMI so skip those boards).

depending on how you watch HD videos determine what kind of graphic power you need.if you are a person who use post-processing effects & use renderers like madvr or haali instead of default windows EVR then graphics card costing ~4000-5000 is required but if you don't know what i am talking about then intel processor integrated graphics is enough for you.

OP
T

Tech123

Broken In
Thanks white star,

So for HD I need ---- A source which transmits HD content
A Graphics which decodes the HD content.
A display which displays a HD content

Starting from bottom - HD Display is not a problem all HD led's can display 1920 - 1080P , so there is no confusion here.

Graphics which decodes 1) Can be in built 2) can be dedicated one

we will elaborate on this later

HD source --- BLU ray , DVD this is fine
What about Hard drive --Is there a possibility that we will soon have Hard Disk's that store content in Full HD , so that what ever we see on our Display , even word documents will be in HD.

We will browse the web in HD, we will check the mail in HD.Whatever we store in the Hard drive will be stored in HD.

Am I making any sense?

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
HD simply means a specific resolution of videos/pictures nothing else.if you have a video of resolution 1920*1080 it is HD video no matter whether you save it in hard disk,pen drive,memory card or some other portable device.there are websites which stream HD videos & have HD pics but there is no such thing as HD word document.some cheap led monitors have so called HD-ready resolution(1366*768) & also almost all laptops by default comes with 1366*768 screen unless it is very expensive or it can be added as an option(like in case of dell where full HD 1920*1080p screen option costs extra 10000-15000).

OP
T

Tech123

Broken In
Ok that makes sense. Thank You.

Now for the HD coding part,Do both these processors ie IGP and NON IGP require different mother boards , do have have different socket sizes?

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
in case of intel since processor itself has the integrated graphics no current gen mobo has graphics.the current socket type of intel is 1155 so all 1155 socket type processors have integrated graphics & therefore no socket 1155 motherboard has graphics.in case of AMD things are a bit complicated.AMD have socket FM1 processors which have integrated graphics just like intel core i but their processor part is weaker meaning a dual core intel is faster processor than dual core AMD FM1 processor but intel processor's integrated graphics is weaker than AMD FM1 processor's integrated graphics.AMD's AM3/AM3+ socket processors don't have integrated graphics so you need to buy an AM3/AM3+ motherboard with integrated graphics if you don't want to buy a graphics card.

OP
T

Tech123

Broken In
in case of intel since processor itself has the integrated graphics no current gen mobo has graphics.the current socket type of intel is 1155 so all 1155 socket type processors have integrated graphics & therefore no socket 1155 motherboard has graphics.in case of AMD things are a bit complicated.AMD have socket FM1 processors which have integrated graphics just like intel core i but their processor part is weaker meaning a dual core intel is faster processor than dual core AMD FM1 processor but intel processor's integrated graphics is weaker than AMD FM1 processor's integrated graphics.AMD's AM3/AM3+ socket processors don't have integrated graphics so you need to buy an AM3/AM3+ motherboard with integrated graphics if you don't want to buy a graphics card.

@white star I am a bit confused with the above

let me try and clear it with some simple questions

Please tell me few AMD IGP's names and Intel IGP names and FEW AMD non IGP and Intel non IGP names

@ whitstar
Just found out AMd had trinity and Llano and Intel has sandy Bridges and Ivy Bridge Right ?

@white star I am a bit confused with the above

let me try and clear it with some simple questions

Please tell me few AMD IGP's names and Intel IGP names and FEW AMD non IGP and Intel non IGP names

@ whitstar
Just found out AMd had trinity and Llano and Intel has sandy Bridges and Ivy Bridge Right ?

Whtestar this is my learning from what you have stated please correct me if I am missing anything.

Now all Intel processors have inbuilt graphics so all mobo which support Intel processors do not have have integrated Graphics in the chip set , so I must get a dedicated GFX card in order to expand right? So there is not much confusion here.

Well as for AMD I am really confused , if I get APU Trinity or Llano , then these have IGP's right.
Now can I get a Mobo with Integrated Graphics in the chipset too.

That extra Graphics in the chipset will work as an additional card ? Is this a possibility?

Or if I am using an APU then I should not go for a chipset with Integrated graphics even if these are available .Rather if required later I can install a Discreet Graphics card on a pcie slot . For the APU I think there will not even be any mother board with another Graphics chipset integrated into it, right?Just like intel processors.

But these APU mobo's will certainly have Pcie slots so I can upgrade to a discreet card any time.

Gfx in Processor
Gfx in D- card
Gfx in Chipset of Mother board

These Gfx options are confusing me . what would be the best solution.

Also AM3/AM3+ do not have IGP , so now I can either get a D-card on the PCie with dedicated graphics , or buy a mobo with integrated Graphics chipset.

Basically APU mobo's are quite similar to intel Mobos in the sense that they both do not require Integrated Graphics in the chipset, right? Because they already have inside them in the same die.

But AM3 and AM3+ have no Gfx integrated in them so now I have the option of Buying either a Discreet gfx card or Mobo with integrated gfx in the chipset?

Last edited: