How to erase data from a Multi-Session CD???

Status
Not open for further replies.

go4saket

Hi Guys!

How can I erase unwanted data from a multi-session CD/DVD. Normal erase method is simple, just deleting the data when making a new session, but that data is retained in the CD/DVD and is always recoverable. What can be done so that the data we erase cannot be recovered by any means.

Thank you.

romeo_8693

"The RaCaLaNGeL"©
u kiddin me??how can u erase data from cd/dvd unless it RW??
unless the lead-in is at somepalce else(say middle of the cd)...then u may consider scratching the cd in the area wher tha unwanted data is..thus rendering that portion useless....(not sure)..hi hih hi

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
Try this:

Write the same CD again and now select the option "Start multisession" in Nero Burning ROM or deselect option "Allow items to be added later" in Nero Express.

By doing this, If u used Nero Burning ROM method, then it'll forget the previous data and all previous multisession wil be overwritten.

And if u use Nero Express method, then it'll just write the CD as non multi session...

the.kaushik

œ∑´®†¥¨ˆøπåß∂ƒ©˙∆˚¬Ω≈ ç√∫˜
u can delete but the space wont be recovered.. just u hav a multisession cd say.. next time open in nero as data cd.. it will show the files in it.. select them and delete.. now add what u want and burn.. the space already burned will not be recovered but after burning u wont get the old files..

it works and i did many times

OP
go4saket

go4saket

Hey Kaushik, I have already mentioned that I know this method, but by following this process, the data previously written can always be recovered back. So no point in this...

@ Vishal : I will try what you said.... Lets see if it works...

djmykey

Let the music play.....
According to my knowledge I have accumulated aso far, any data written onto any optical media is written for life long until the disk is rendered useless. So dunno if this is some new thing.

it_waaznt_me

Coming back to life ..
Nah Vishal .. If you open a multisession disk in Isobuster, you can see earlier session's files and you can always extract them ...

Akhil Jain

Journeyman
hey friends , i have many cds which were rest useless as burning process fails in between due to various reasons....
i remember 4-5 years ago when i was a noob , i used to take these waste cds to my friend (5 years seniour to me) and he just uses combination of 3 softwares , i think nero , poweriso and ********( not remember) to make the cd work again...
the portion which was written was wasted and the rest is available to you for furthur use...
example if 200 mb was wasted then he rendered the new cd with 500 mb
as far i think , these cd were not multisession as later on u can make vcd also
and vcd r not multisesion
i have many cd such as boom etc... which were write on those once wasted cds
can u again tell me the software to do this???? or the procedure........

eagle_y2j

Youngling
Ya I hav also tried erasing a particular session using Nero but I was shocked when Iso Buster tree was showing deleted sessions it was like recovering data frm hard disk after a format! simplest to erase data is to pop up tat CD inside Microwave

damnthenet

Journeyman
Once I had written data (abt 50 mb) with nero express6 as a non-multisession cd. Then, with nero express7, I was able to write more data starting multisession in the same disk with a warning "The data already written will not be accessible". When I clicked "okay, continue", I got the CD written and the whole capacity of the disk got reduced from 700 to 650 mb
and I was not able to access the old 50 mb data.

This experimentation could help you also...

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
Thats what I said in my previous posts!
If u write the Multi-session CD in Nero selecting the option start Multi-session, it'll warn U that previous data will be lost, simply OK it and write the CD, and all previous sessions will be overwritten....

Akshay

Cyborg Agent
Need to try it out. Interesting... How can data be erased from a CD? And also wit numerous tools available, data recovery is poss. So it is just that if u r using windows or nero, data is inaccessible but with isobuster, etc. the deleted session still exists

it_waaznt_me

Coming back to life ..
Ahem .. The data is actually burned on the disk and there is no procedure that you can delete that data .. and as I wrote in my earlier post, with specialized tools such as ISOBuster you can access this data ...

Akhil Jain

Journeyman
what i was saying that i did not want to delete data
data is inasscessible or not , it does not matter to me..
what i want to know is that whether i can use the cd's which r left wasted
as ther is some error during writng , whether data underrun , or electricity gone or computer hang
many cds were aborted during write process at 5% or 10%
and seeing thier recording side , i found that the recorded dark circle is small...
that means free space is left on cd which can be used
but nero or dvd burn does not show that free space and said that cd was finalised and cannot be written again
it means cd is wasted
i have many such cds , last year my hdd was on its way to death and many cds got wasted as my hdd stops to sending data to cd writer
these cds have not a single scratch
so is there any way that i can utilise these wasted cds

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom