How to encash an USD check here in Kolkata?

Status
Not open for further replies.

abhijit_reddevil

Manchester United
Hello friends,

I require a small help from you. I have received a check in USD in my name recently. Question is, how to encash it? I have accounts in both SBI and ICICI Bank. Do they receive these and deposit the equivalent INR into the account? If yes, how many days does it take?

Any help will be highly appreciated.

Thanks.

2kewl

Sangeet Premi
I think they should accept it! I had deposited an Adbrite cheque once in my Canara bank account, had no issues.

din

Tribal Boy
I was using cheques 2-3 yrs backs, it goes like this.

First I guess the amount is not huge, like if it a huge (very large like more than lakhs) there are some other formalities regarding FEMA.

Otherwise

Federal Bank - you need an account there. Go with the cheque (US - Check - lol), fill a small form, deposit, money comes to your account instantly.

SBI - You need to have an account. You deposit the cheque, money comes to your account - either instantly or within a day.

This is how it worked 3-4 yrs back, now it should be even more easier.

Same thing should be there for ICICI as well. While getting it converted, they may take a very small fee. In most cases Rs.50 or Rs.100 like that.

OP
abhijit_reddevil

abhijit_reddevil

Manchester United
^^^What about the exchange rates? Do they give decent rates, i.e. near about the rate of the day the check was submitted?

din

Tribal Boy
Yes, exchange rates were too close to the present rate.

I deposited cheques in SBT, SBI and in Federal Bank. In SBT, they used to call their head office and check the present date rate. It is like if 1 USD = 43.25, they were making it like 1 USD = 43.00. Not bad at all.

Also, this is applicable to all major currency cheques, US Postal money order etc.

OP
abhijit_reddevil

abhijit_reddevil

Manchester United
I deposited the check in SBI today and they told it will take around 1 month for the equivalent INR to be deposited to my account.:(

din

Tribal Boy
1 month ? That sux.

I think it is their mistake. Might be they are treating it as a regular cheque !!

did you check with ICICI ?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom