How to Do: Partition, Install New OS, Data Transfer, on a New HDD

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbohaj

Broken In
Hi, I am going to do it very 1st time, so I need assistance of yours.

My PC is 3 years old & a Seagate 7200.10 HDD is already running it. Now, I want to install a New "SATA-2, Seagate

Barracuda 7200.12 [ST3320418AS] [320 GB] Hdd" in place of Old One.

PC Config is: -
Processor = Intel Pentium D 3.4 Ghz [I think now it is called obsolete bcause, it is working very hardly with no obvious reason].
RAM = 2.5 GB 766 Mhz
Mobo = Intel 946GZ Express Chipset Family

1) What is the method to Create Partition on New HDD [With Some Seagate Software? OR with F-Disk?]

2) What is the method to Specify File System [NTFS, FAT, FAT 32]. Which is realiable among them??

3) How to Reinstall Mother Board Drivers afresh on new HDD?. From where should I get MotherBoard Driver? [FROM 2 &

half year Mobo CD?? OR Latest from the Manufacturer Web Site.]]

4) What is Bootable CD? what it contains? what is use of it?. Should I need a Bootable CD to install Windows - XP - SP 3.

5) How to install Windows XP - SP3.

6) Is it possible to Run & Access Both HDD's at same time for Data transfer [Do I Need aother pair of SATA-2 Cables,

completely Ignorant about it]

5) Is it immediate to install Anti Virus when the new HDD gets installed.

aswin1

Journeyman
Well here we go
1 Paragon Partition Manager or Easus Partition Manager.
2 NTFS
3 Better get updated drivers from website.
4 Bootable CD is one which creates a working atmosphere using RAM.
5 You need a bootable WinXP SP3 CD to install OS.
6 Yes you need another pair of SATA Cables. You can set up a RAID array with 2 HDD's.
7 Better to install Antivirus if u plan to access the internet.

Choto Cheeta

Rebooting
Hello,

1) What is the method to Create Partition on New HDD [With Some Seagate Software? OR with F-Disk?]

Your OS installation Disk will have a simple wizard to create partition :)

2) What is the method to Specify File System [NTFS, FAT, FAT 32]. Which is realiable among them??

Subjective question :) it depends on the need of users, but generally with todays OS as such Windows XP or Vista, NTFS is the way to go :)

3) How to Reinstall Mother Board Drivers afresh on new HDD?. From where should I get MotherBoard Driver? [FROM 2 & half year Mobo CD?? OR Latest from the Manufacturer Web Site.]]

If its Windows Vista then OS will come with some default driver.. all you need to do is to run a Microsoft update and Vista will search for its own drivers

In case of Windows XP, yes go on with the 2 and half year old Motherboard cd, later on you may run Microsoft update to obtain the drivers for Windows XP as well !!! In otherway you can also visit Intel 946 chipset download center to obtain the drivers !!

4) What is Bootable CD? what it contains? what is use of it?. Should I need a Bootable CD to install Windows - XP - SP 3.

In short, its your OS installation CD... You do need an Installation CD ROM of Windows XP to install Windows XP...

5) How to install Windows XP - SP3.

*www.petri.co.il/install_windows_xp_pro.htm

*www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_sg_clean.asp

Just one suggestion, create single partition, may be a 30 GB for installing the Windows... Leave rest of space blank, you may use Disk Manager later on from Windows to partition the rest of the HDD space..

*support.microsoft.com/kb/309000

6) Is it possible to Run & Access Both HDD's at same time for Data transfer [Do I Need aother pair of SATA-2 Cables,

You can run both HDD's together... However yes, you do need another SATA cable to connect the second HDD to your motherboard !!! Also dont forget the SATA power cable also :p

5) Is it immediate to install Anti Virus when the new HDD gets installed.

I didnt get the question... AntiVirus is needed to save your system from Virus, now if you think the new HDD is having some virus threat then dont connect it to any system which doesnt have any active antivirus protection...

P.S. -> Congrats on your new HDD :D

Thanks...

OP
J

jbohaj

Broken In
Thanks, your suggestions are so nice, I will try them on New HDD. For now, I installed Windows Black Edition on my Old HDD, it install various software itself. But it changes my driver letters. Do you prefer to install it??.

Which Windows XP, (Except Vista) is Stable in these days.

Choto Cheeta

Rebooting
I installed Windows Black Edition on my Old HDD,

There are no such Windows from Microsoft..

Microsoft Windows XP has 4 retail versions, Windows XP home / Windows XP Prof / Windows x64 and last of all, Windows XP MCE..

It seems you are using a Pirated and modified software which is certainly against the TOS of Microsoft Windows.. The forum rules doesnt allow us to talk about anything related to piracy or which violates software TOS or copyright..

Sorry :(

OP
J

jbohaj

Broken In
Ya I think so, it is Malicious windows. I will remove it after experimenting some s/w.

1) In Prior installed windows XP-2. On the "LAN Connection Icon", a Lock was existed (which means that Local Area Network is Secure). But In the Current XP-3 (Malicious) Windows, it is not appearing. How Lock icon can be retrieved again??. Also in the LAN Properties > TCP/IP Properties, all Fields are blank but the Internet is running fine. What is going on??

2) I have a CD of Windows XP-3 Service Pack in Executable Form. It is a Self Extracting Cabinet.
i) What is it actually?.
ii) What is the method to determine whether it is Home Edition or Professional?
iii) Do I need to install Full Windows to install it?? Is it Trial Version? Will it require a Serial Windows Key??

I run it once & it start extracting Package then I abort it (Because I dont know what it will going to install actually)

3) Regarding Old HDD, I just want to transfer Data to the New HDD and nothing else.

4) Do I need Two Sata Power Cable to run two HDDs??.

OP
J

jbohaj

Broken In
Hello, Please assist. In XP SP-3, Hibernate & Standby buttons are grayed out. How to retrieve them Back??. The Processor in ACPI compatible. But Still Standby is Grayed out. I want to Standby Back, please assist in this regard. I think it is a driver issue but how to mend it??

Choto Cheeta

Rebooting
^^^
Usually its because your system is not having proper VGA drivers... Please install your graphics (VGA) drivers :)

thanks..

PS.. you may get your Install VGA drivers from here *www.intel.com/support/chipsets/sb/CS-022898.htm considering you are using onboard VGA :)

OP
J

jbohaj

Broken In
Hi, I do a windows installation, while specifying partition Size. In the Setup Blue Screen, it is stated that the maximum size of the partition can b only 16371 MB, is it true??. Can we make a partition more than this Size. Are we limited to create a partition of only that Maximum size (16371).

OP
J

jbohaj

Broken In
Really, then why maximum size of partition is written there??. K I will try & ask u soon. Also do u know how to make a Bootable disk for installing Windows XP on a new HDD. Please refer me step by step tutorial about how to make a Bootable disk & install XP PRO.
Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom